Turning the FZ6R

Yasmar

I posted this in Rook's poll thread on "push only" or "push pull".

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f68/how-do-you-steer-25218/

but thought I'd put it out for more to see as it's a pretty big improvement if your "form" sucks :)

Start by pushing the bars with the little web between your index finger and your thumb. iow: pushing on the bars, but not grabbing them. You should notice that your elbows will go a bit lower, and in turn, make pushing the bars a more direct force. (more parallel with the road and less of a downward push < which would be wasted force>)

Once you have the correct angle of attack, grip the bars as you normally should. If you ever lose the correct angle, just stop gripping the bars and just use the above method to find the correct angle. (which really should just be 90deg to the forks?<expert needed for verification :)> in order to use the least amount of force possible to turn the wheel <you should notice the bike feels much lighter and very nimble>)

For me the handling of the bike is much more responsive. Almost as if I'm driving a different bike.

Not sure if this is common knowledge or not, but I thought I'd post it as it is such an improvement in handling.

I originally learned this by watching a video on youtube (cornering bible, twist of the wrist? can't remember the exact name. the video is a story of 2 sport bike riders who get lessons at first from a guy riding and ST1300? or some other sport tourer) Anyways, it's been very helpful since i've employed some of the techniques which I thought at first wouldn't make much of a difference.

Deanohh

if I lead the bike with my shoulders through a turn, the bike just seems to turn itself...I'm not aware of putting any pressure on the bars at all.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

danieljardim

next time you go into a right hand turn try turning your handle bars to the left and lean to the right and watch what happens lol

by push they mean turn you are pushing on the right handle bar turning your wheel left causing your bike to lean right :wav:
Am I the only guy the rode a bicycle when I was a kid?

Never had a problem turning the bike, It just feels so natural. (here is the professional talking. hahahahaha) Never had to worry about pushing this, pulling that. Maybe because I dont ride hard enough?

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Alex6

I have a voice controls installed on my bike. I just have to say "Left turn" and the bike does what I say. Don't even need to use my shoulders.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Yasmar

Am I the only guy the rode a bicycle when I was a kid?

Never had a problem turning the bike, It just feels so natural. (here is the professional talking. hahahahaha) Never had to worry about pushing this, pulling that. Maybe because I dont ride hard enough?

I used to think the same way and drove dirt bikes all my life. Then one day, while trail riding (responsibly), a young guy on a kawi 250 2 stroke comes flying around a blind corner, I froze a bit and tried to turn the bike as much as possible but it was too late. After the dust settled I was left with a broken eye socket (ouch) and lots of blood in my sinus cavity (pro tip: you can spit out black blood in the shower after a few days of it hanging out in your sinus cavity. It tastes absolutely dreadful.)

That whole experience made me determined to understand the physics/mechanics of turning a bike properly (especially in an emergency).

Riding a bike does feel (as you said) very natural, the problem comes when you’re in an emergency situation. (ie. Deer jumped out in front of you, car pulls out, etc…) For me that’s when it became very unnatural and I was uncertain of the bikes full capabilities. There is a certain amount of mental training and maneuvering we should do on a regular basis so that when the time comes to avoid situations like this you're ready. (saved me once this year in fact :) )

You should really watch “The cornering bible” on Youtube. I think there’s 4 or 5 parts to it. Watching the show will 1. Probably make your jaw drop at how much you didn’t know :) 2. Make you a much safer/confident rider. 3. Give you a new appreciation for good acting ;)

Yasmar

danieljardim

I used to think the same way and drove dirt bikes all my life. Then one day, while trail riding (responsibly), a young guy on a kawi 250 2 stroke comes flying around a blind corner, I froze a bit and tried to turn the bike as much as possible but it was too late. After the dust settled I was left with a broken eye socket (ouch) and lots of blood in my sinus cavity (pro tip: you can spit out black blood in the shower after a few days of it hanging out in your sinus cavity. It tastes absolutely dreadful.)

That whole experience made me determined to understand the physics/mechanics of turning a bike properly (especially in an emergency).

Riding a bike does feel (as you said) very natural, the problem comes when you’re in an emergency situation. (ie. Deer jumped out in front of you, car pulls out, etc…) For me that’s when it became very unnatural and I was uncertain of the bikes full capabilities. There is a certain amount of mental training and maneuvering we should do on a regular basis so that when the time comes to avoid situations like this you're ready. (saved me once this year in fact :) )

You should really watch “The cornering bible” on Youtube. I think there’s 4 or 5 parts to it. Watching the show will 1. Probably make your jaw drop at how much you didn’t know :) 2. Make you a much safer/confident rider. 3. Give you a new appreciation for good acting ;)

Yasmar
I did watch already. :)

Alex6

I have a voice controls installed on my bike. I just have to say "Left turn" and the bike does what I say. Don't even need to use my shoulders.
can you send me a link to where you purchased this... lmfao
Let's setup a group buy. I'm in.
I would be SOOO IN on this purchase also!!!
:wav:

*Images of that 80's Clint Eastwood Movie "Firefox"? voice/thought controlled fighter jet dancing in my brain!! OOH LA LA for the bike!!:D
Sure guys, let me pull my Nigerian contact, so you know where to send your hard earned $$s.:D