Turn signals emitting smoke?

soul_eye

So I finally finished wiring my aftermarket turn signals. Smoked flush mounts up front that I purchased from Cycle Gear, and the clear lense arrow style signals that came with the Competition Werkes fender eliminator kit in the rear.

What I did to connect them was use the original turn signal connectors by cutting the wires a few inches short of the connector, and then crimping them to the aftermarkets.

Everything lights up perfectly although there is the high rate of flash. But what I noticed as I left the blinkers on while I walked around the bike for 20 or 30 seconds to check them out, was that the rear signals from the Competition Werkes kit were emitting some kind of smoke from the lenses. It's a very small amount, but I notice if I leave the rear signal on for more than 10 seconds or so it will start to emit a small streak of white smoke?

Could this be from the high pulsating flash rate ( the rears use a bulb not LED I think ), or could it just be a case of cheap rear signals? I would like to not think it was the wiring as didn't do anything different connecting the fronts and the rears but who knows.

Any advice at all would be appreciated! :confused:

M

Mac fz6n

i'd check what voltage the bulbs are first.
if they are for a lower voltage than the bike puts out they will get hot (i.e smoke) and it might also account for the fast flash.

O

Ozfazer6

The fast flash rate will be from the LED's,the smoke ,thats a new one on me sorry.

M

M3Sharif

So I finally finished wiring my aftermarket turn signals. Smoked flush mounts up front that I purchased from Cycle Gear, and the clear lense arrow style signals that came with the Competition Werkes fender eliminator kit in the rear.

What I did to connect them was use the original turn signal connectors by cutting the wires a few inches short of the connector, and then crimping them to the aftermarkets.

Everything lights up perfectly although there is the high rate of flash. But what I noticed as I left the blinkers on while I walked around the bike for 20 or 30 seconds to check them out, was that the rear signals from the Competition Werkes kit were emitting some kind of smoke from the lenses. It's a very small amount, but I notice if I leave the rear signal on for more than 10 seconds or so it will start to emit a small streak of white smoke?

Could this be from the high pulsating flash rate ( the rears use a bulb not LED I think ), or could it just be a case of cheap rear signals? I would like to not think it was the wiring as didn't do anything different connecting the fronts and the rears but who knows.

Any advice at all would be appreciated! :confused:
I have Flush Mount LED turn signals and the Comp Werkes Fender Elim on my bike. Can't say that I watched them for more than 10 sec though. I'll have to check it out tonight. I fixed the Flash Rate problem by replacing the stock Flasher relay with this unit from Custom LED

Custom LED Electronic LED Flasher Blinker Relay - Plug And Play

04fizzer

Electricity+smoke=something's not right.

That's the extent of my electrical knowledge.

xplodnstar

If it's a real bulb, there's also the possibility of a foreign substance on it. Something as simple as a fingerprint could create smoke as the bulb heats up.

Double check if the smoke is coming from the bulb area or the wiring. You may need to take off the lens and runt the lights to get a better view.

cbzdel

Call up CW and ask them whats up, if their lights are smoking they need to know about it..

I have the CW FE kit as well and have not had any problems what so ever...

N

nccoder

If it's a real bulb, there's also the possibility of a foreign substance on it. Something as simple as a fingerprint could create smoke as the bulb heats up.

Double check if the smoke is coming from the bulb area or the wiring. You may need to take off the lens and runt the lights to get a better view.
+1 on the foreign substance. If it were an electrical problem that's bad enough to create smoke, it should have popped a fuse. Check the glass on the bulb. could have some oil or other contaminates on it.

soul_eye

Thanks for all the great tips guys & girl :thumbup:

I ended up using the situation as an excuse to look for another pair of rear LED indicators which I found after work. Will install later tonight and hopefully that'll be that!

R

Ryan T

If it's a wiring issue even with new LED indicators the problem may persist. Good luck.