Trouble getting neutral and long rear brake travel

W0rp3D

Just picked up my bike today and noticed 2 things, firstly its really hard to find neutral, a couple of times i sat at the lights for a whole light sequence and could not find neutral, i also noticed that some times it would not go into first, i would have to roll forward with my foot on the gear lever before it would go into first and even then i could not get neutral, am i doing some thing wrong or is it just the way it is?

Secondly there seems to be a long travel on the rear brake lever before the brakes start to work, the lever its self is positioned perfectly but because of the extra travel its hard to get any decent braking out of it.

abyss1406

sounds like it needs an oil change and maybe the clucth lever or clutch basket adjustment screw needs adjusting.

the second sounds like maybe air in the system or very worn break pads

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

abyss1406

i just realized i didnt even bother to ask if he bought it used or not my bad

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

TssTssTss

...i also noticed that some times it would not go into first...
I sometimes have trouble getting it to go into first, but find that letting the clutch lever out, then pulling it back in solves the problem...

this happened more frequently prior to my adjusting the free play in the lever to spec.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

W0rp3D

Thanks for all the help guys, i did buy it used with 5000k's (about 3000 miles) on the clock, I have done some more riding since posting and have found that letting the clutch out a little helps, had a look through the service books (which i should have before i bought it) and found that there is no record of a service, i also cant find any recommended service intervals, it has them for dirt and commercially used vehicles but nothing for road bikes, so next thing is a full service, i would normally do it my self but since the adjustments are needed and the fact that it is under warranty till the end of the year i will take it back to yamaha.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

W0rp3D

Yeah, have to agree with JT. Sounds like you need an oil change. Maybe switch over to synthetic. I also agree with the rear brake travel. I don't think it's super excessive, but it could be by design. Don't wanna lock up as soon as you tap the brake lever. Let us know how things turn out.
I have booked it in for a service on wednesday, the guy i spoke to said that i should be blipping the throttle on down changes, does this sound right? i drive a truck so i know all about driving a road ranger but this is my first bike and never heard of that, never really hear any other biker do it either (for the last have of today that i have listening for it (its 6pm monday here)).

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

W0rp3D

It turns out that the gear lever is bent (most probably dropped by a previous owner) and it hits the stand, they bent it out but its still not right so i guess i need a new lever.

I dont really like the long arm that hols the pillion pegs and i have no intention of carrying a passenger so was wondering if i could use an FZ1 or FZ8 set up to replace it?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member