Transporting Bike when NOT riding it?

tractorboy

OK.....Me and My FZ6R have come up with a way to still be together when on vacation with the family this upcoming summer and when we go to my inlaws about 2.5hrs away. This will allow me and my mystress to be together when my wife is yacking with her family!!

Any rate I have a P/U truck ( dodge Dokata Quad cab) and I have loaded it before and take it but man...SHES a bit heavier than a dirtbike and I DID NOT really like Getting her way up there! I have a trailer but much of the time we travel with our camper/even to inlaws.

Ive been wondering/thinking about those Hitch carriers were you put the bike on Horizontal with the tailgate? Anyone have ANY experience with them OTHER than for a dirtbike! I know they make them for sportbikes but thats alot of wieght to swing around back there and again..I may have a custom one make with a thru-hitch to still be able to tow the camper.......but just not sure even normal driving around if its worth it...how those things really hold up! Anyone with any experience with one would be appreciated.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You could try one of these instead...

Or, you could do it your way. The company that makes these I believe is called Hydralift USA. Hydralift USA ™ Motorcycle Lifts For RV’s I don't know if you could get it to work with a pickup or not.

tractorboy

Ok , Ok I see...I got it all WRONG!! Im double checking and calculating tow capaicty/toungue weight of the TRUCK...I need to just check Hauling capacity of the BIKE and in turn what HITCH I need for the BIKE!! I got it all WRONG!

I like your way better! then family can be in truck and I cant hear them!!

I look ok for the basic 600lb capacity motorcycle hitch as my truck is rated for that and so is the hitch...but now I gotta check the bikes specs..

I think the truck is only 4500 lbs so......maybe the FZ6R can roll that baby!

cbzdel

find a loading dock that is accessible durning non-business hours at a local company.

then back the bike down into the truck bed, then when you take the bike out again find a loading dock and the ride the bike out the truck.

I have done this in the past when I needed to put my bike into my buddies lifted F250, but his truck was lifted so high it was pretty much straight on/off at the loading dock haha!

mfischler

Elite Member

pyrocpu

No need for a custom-hitch. Versahaul has a variety of products that include a hitch-pass thru. Bear in mind though, whatever your Dakota is rated to pull, the tongue weight can only be 10%. So if your truck can haul 5000lbs, the combined weight of the bike + hitch should not exceed 500lbs since the carrier bears ALL the weight.

Check out this rack: Single Motorcycle and Dirt Bike Carrier | Versahaul
It looks like something you're looking for.
HTH.