Traded in the FZ6R on a new Star Bolt yesterday

Timbo64

I test rode a new 2014 Star Bolt and I HAD to have one. I really liked my FZ6R, but I fell in love with the Bolt.
I know it's not the smartest thing in the world $$$$ wise to trade in an FZ6R with only 700 miles on it, but my dad dropped dead of a heart attack one day after his 48th birthday and I'm 48 years-old now so I said screw it...if I want something that really does not cost too much $$$$ I'm gonna buy it! The dealer took it out of the crate yesterday morning and I rode it home that afternoon with one hell of a big smile on my face. My wife gave it a big thumbs up as I passed her on the way home.
Also, the insurance on the Bolt is about 50 percent lower than it was on the FZ6R, so at least I'm making up some $$$$ there.

Last edited:

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Rawknrohl

That's a beautiful machine. Enjoy it. I like your view btw, unfortunately we have to live in the real world but when you can - just do it. You might not make it until tomorrow. :D

Timbo64

That's a beautiful machine. Enjoy it. I like your view btw, unfortunately we have to live in the real world but when you can - just do it. You might not make it until tomorrow. :D

"We have to live in the real world"...ain't that the truth!

I would love to have a brand new Corvette ...that ain't gonna' happen!!
At least we can enjoy out Yamaha motorcycles without too much financial strain on the household budget.

Last edited:

jearnshaw

Nice looking bike.....if it wasn't for the small fuel tank I would probably picked one up as well. I would not be up for stopping for fuel every two days.

But all in all the bike is pretty sweet.... looked at a white one as well and it was just as nice.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

BKP

Very nice bike... saw one (an R-Spec) at the Yamaha demo days, but they wouldn't let us ride it... Lots of nice improvements to the point where it blows away (IMHO) its Harley Sportster competitor...

The only thing I see on it that I'd wonder about, and maybe you can talk about your experience, is the exhaust routing for the rear cylinder seems to be *really* high, and comes right up against your right calf. Does that shield do the trick?

Anyway... if I were to go cruiser -- I'd take a hard look at the Bolt... beautiful bike... enjoy it...

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Timbo64

Very nice bike... saw one (an R-Spec) at the Yamaha demo days, but they wouldn't let us ride it... Lots of nice improvements to the point where it blows away (IMHO) its Harley Sportster competitor...

The only thing I see on it that I'd wonder about, and maybe you can talk about your experience, is the exhaust routing for the rear cylinder seems to be *really* high, and comes right up against your right calf. Does that shield do the trick?

Anyway... if I were to go cruiser -- I'd take a hard look at the Bolt... beautiful bike... enjoy it...
I don't know if it's because I'm short, I'm 5'5" tall, but I've put over 100 miles on it in this warm Alabama weather and I have not noticed any heat problem on my right calf. However, In short pants, that may be a problem if someone dresses like that to go for a ride on any V twin cruiser. I have not problems with my left calf either. This thing fits me like it was custom made to my body measurements.

I don't find the Bolt near as "hot" to ride as I did my V Star 650 Custom that I use to have. My legs got pretty warm on that bike in the Summer.

My brother, he's 5'11" tall, rode my Bolt Saturday and really had nothing but praise to say about it. As a huge Harley guy, it must have killed him to like the Bolt so much. He won't buy one, but he says he understands why I did.

BDazzler

Not a bad bike. I find myself being drawn to them, and I don't even like cruisers! Hehehe. I have to classify the Bolt as more of a 'standard' bike that leans toward a cruiser and the FZ6R as a 'standard' bike that leans toward a sports bike as neither bike has an extreme riding position either way. I would have waited until July for the R-spec and paid the extra $300 for better rear shocks and one of the 'special' paint jobs (I like the green tank and black fenders, but the matte gray is awesome too). I still really like the white and the black is classic. (no wrong choice here)

I was able to test ride a black bolt just the other day. I wish I had more time, but I was in a hurry, so just a few miles, onto the Interstate for a mile or 2, then off and back. I was coming off an FZ1, so I knew what to expect. The 950 twin pulls well and the brakes are OK. I love that your feet aren't raked out and the bars are a good height. Coming from sport bikes, I find it disconcerting to not have a tach, but the v-twin isn't made to wrap out to redline (there's no power in the top revs anyway). It pulled strong and could run up to 75 easily (I didn't get a chance to take it faster). The wind wasn't a problem (I was in a full face helmet). I was in jeans and didn't notice any excessive heat anywhere. I was most impressed with the handling. It was quick and fun. Those pegs just need raised a bit. There's way more lean just waiting to happen, but I found the limit too fast.

I really think Yamaha will sell a ton of these Bolts. The style is hitting the mark, it's reasonably priced, it's a reasonable size and power and the riding position is natural. Of course, the obvious comparison (Yamaha isn't hiding the fact that they used the 883 as a template.) Yamaha blows the 883 sportster out of the water.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQw_uNp2vHk]Yamaha Bolt vs Harley Sportster 883 Drag Race - YouTube[/ame]

If I could have 20 different bikes in my garage, the Bolt would be one of them. Right now, I can only have one, so my FZ1 is my swiss army knife of bikes. I can take a nice ride, commute, zoom through the twisties (if I ever find any) and could take it to the track. Good luck with the Bolt. I'm sure you will love it. It is an instant classic and very looks great. After riding it, I give it a thumbs up, and I wouldn't have guessed that from me before the ride.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted on how you like it long term. Congratulations on your new purchase. :rockon:

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I test rode a new 2014 Star Bolt and I HAD to have one. I really liked my FZ6R, but I fell in love with the Bolt.
I know it's not the smartest thing in the world $$$$ wise to trade in an FZ6R with only 700 miles on it, but my dad dropped dead of a heart attack one day after his 48th birthday and I'm 48 years-old now so I said screw it...if I want something that really does not cost too much $$$$ I'm gonna buy it! The dealer took it out of the crate yesterday morning and I rode it home that afternoon with one hell of a big smile on my face. My wife gave it a big thumbs up as I passed her on the way home.
Also, the insurance on the Bolt is about 50 percent lower than it was on the FZ6R, so at least I'm making up some $$$$ there.

thats a bad *** bike :cool:

Rich007

If I didn't just buy the FZ6R the Bolt would have been a possibly runner up. I like the bike engine in the cruiser style and chances are your not going to be sitting on the side of the road like alot of Harleys. I got a bad taste on cruisers with a 750 Shadow Spirit because of the massive lack of power but hte bolt seems to have plenty of that. Nice ride!

StarZero81

Elite Member