Track Day at Shannonville Motosports Park

Chucker

I went to a track day yesterday and discovered the limits of the stock BT021's and the brakes. I was going to go with new sport tires, but I had so much tire left, I thought I'd see how they held up. With my Race Tech suspension, heavier fork oil, and FZ1 bars, I was able to push the tires to the limit and was very surprised at how well they held. They got a little greasy as they heated up, but I always felt them starting to go and had no problem controlling them. Can't wait until the next time when I'll have sport tires and braided brake lines with better pads. The brakes were noticeably weak, so I think high end pads and braided lines are a necessity.

Can't say enough about the suspension setup. It was awesome. I will also say that, compared to the R6 racebike I rode last year, I found that, with the smoother power delivery and broad power band on the FZ6R, I was much smoother in the turns and it was much more enjoyable (I'm sure the race school training helped a lot as well). Yes, I lacked the power to keep up with an R6 in the straights, but I had no problem staying with him in the turns, and that was with sport touring tires. Next time, it'll only be the 2 long straight-aways where I'll feel I'm lacking. Even so, I was able to hit 160 to 170 km/h on the back straight coming into a 90-100 km/h turn. The SS bikes weren't that far ahead of me there, but I found I couldn't get passed some bikes that were slower in the turns because they pulled away in the straights.

Overall, I enjoyed this day much more than the day at the FAST school on a R6 racebike. It would have been different if I was trying to win a race, but I was looking to push myself and the bike and have a lot of fun.

Here's a look at my tires now. These don't do them justice. They're pretty chewed up.

Attachments

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

That's pretty awesome. Been a long time since I've been there... (Formula Ford) Kind of nice to see that you can almost keep up with the other guys on a stock bike... minus suspension. Now you need a Viper, PCV and some FZ6 cams... LOL

Awesome job!
Worked out well. We were supposed to be on the FABI track, but they gave us the long track as no one had booked Nelson. 4.03 km and 14 turns makes for a good day.

Attachments