Towing

cmilli09

Hey guys!

I've got a bit of a tricky situation and I'm trying to plan ahead accordingly. In about a year I will be selling my house and possibly going cross country road tripping. I want to bring my bike with me wherever I go, but I also am looking at purchasing a small travel trailer, such as this:

Forest River, Inc. - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes

That travel trailer has a dry weight of about 2400lbs. My bike is about 467lbs. and my car (Santa Fe Sport Turbo 2.0L) has a max of 3500lbs for towing. Which brings me to my question:

Does anyone know of a special hitch or some sort of way to tow a bike with a trailer, while also keeping the weight somewhat low? I've seen the bike tow hitches that allow up to a 600lb. bike to be attached to your car hitch, but I've never seen something that allows you to tow both a bike and a small travel trailer.

I know this post probably is more for a camping site, but I wanted to see if any of you have done this before or know of a certain trailer hitch I can purchase. Any help is much appreciated!

Take the trailer to a hitch installer (not uhaul), and they can fabricate a receiver to the back of the trailer. You can then use a hitch mounted bike carrier. However, the trailer in your link already has a receiver built into it. Determine if it's carrying capacity is sufficient for your bike, and get one built if it is not. Something like that might void the warranty on the trailer though; talk with the dealer, or manufacturer before purchasing the trailer. Remember that the trailer only has a carrying capacity of 1020lbs. The bike would take away 467lbs of that leaving less than 600lbs for all your gear. All that gear would have to go in the front on the trailer too, to counter act the weight of the bike on the rear; otherwise you would have severe trailer sway problems.

Or, you could buy a truck, and a ramp.

Last edited: