Towing

WarEagle07

Ok guys I have nearly a 500 mile trip next week and I am towing my bike with a uhaul motorcycle trailer. Has anyone used one before? Anyone have any pointers for towing a bike in general?

MikeN02

Ok guys I have nearly a 500 mile trip next week and I am towing my bike with a uhaul motorcycle trailer. Has anyone used one before? Anyone have any pointers for towing a bike in general?
Couple of members opened up to find their bike all busted up. From the threads that I remember from here and other forums:

Tie it up securely, remove mirrors, fairings etc. Bubble wrap!!

Also stop every hour or so to check to see if it's ok.

dannymac702

Try not to compress the shocks too much, especially the fronts. There is a chance of blowing the oil seals. Try to keep most of the force left to right with about 20% downward pull. Check all tie-downs after a few miles-bumps-turns-ect. and adjust as necessary. If you can strap the bottom of each wheel to the trailer this will help keep bike secure. If done properly you can keep your eyes on the road instead of your mirrors! Have a safe trip.

WarEagle07

I believe that the uhaul trailer actually has a slot for my front tire to go so i think that will help out quite a bit as well

tractorboy

Danny mac is right about the front fork. Also its hard but it WILL sway...not only from flex in the bike from the trailer and tires and everything else so..dont be too shocked to see it "sway" but its NORMAL. Towed bikes on open single rail trailers for 100's of mles and STILL am a little nervous. Definately need the special straps for our fairing'd bikes....had to get home from the dealer without one and it was tough to find a spot without stressing the fairing.
Good luck.

vitrox

google canyon dancer, and go get one! also a wheel chock, strap the front with the canyon dancer, pulling it forward into a wheel chock. single strap in the rear looped through the rear tire to keep it from sliding back and forth.

you can make an inexpensive wheel chock out of a few 2x4s if you don't want to go buy one. I would check the width of the trailer and make it that wide so it doesn't slide around.

Heineken

Elite Member

Stoppsladd

I have been riding motorcross and bikes for a long time and have loaded bikes in several different ways.

But most of the time using a standard open trailer.

I made a wooden frame to fit the trailer and made place for 2 bikes making two conical "pockets" for each set of wheels.
Made them conical because you mostly have a wider rear tire.

Then you just have to put a strap on each side of the handlebar and if you like you can add a couple of straps to the passenger footrests and attach those little bit to the rear of the trailer to prevent the bike to flip over, "IF" you would hit anything with the car....

I think that is one of the most secure ways of doing it.
But as long as you are sure the tires will not move in any direction you should be safe.

WarEagle07

I will go to the dealership to see if they have that canyon thingy I think it will make my like a lot easier and make sure the straps dont rub on my plastics.