Totaled Bike... Now Repaired!

CtrlAltDl

As I'm sure many of you know I was hit by a van two weeks ago and their insurance "totaled" my bike. Their adjuster came up with $5k in damages and paid me $5900.

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f38/i-hit-van-today-21964/

I repaired all the mechanical damaged today and will be getting a VIN inspection tomorrow.

CtrlAltDl

Mechanical Repairs

Had to replace the timing cover and the timing pickup sensor:

Dropped the oil pan to remove any shrapnel:

Engine should of died immediately, so there wasn't any metal sucked up into the oil pump:

It was only $160 in parts:

All back together:

Last edited:

CtrlAltDl

Cosmetic Repairs

<Future cosmetic repairs will go here>

Last edited:

Detrich

Wow great job! I'd they paid u out, then dont they own the bike now? How much do they say salvage value is, and will they still insure a salvaged title bike? Let us know what happens.

CtrlAltDl

Wow great job!
Thanks!

dont they own the bike now? How much do they say salvage value is
Yea, then I bought it back for $1400. I tried negotiating it lower, but they said they were guaranteed that much from the auction house.

will they still insure a salvaged title bike?
This is the insurance company of the lady who hit me that is responsible for damages not my insurance company.

Hmm, I'm not even sure if my insurance will continue insuring my bike or not. I guess I better find out.

CtrlAltDl

Chucker

I had a bike totalled years ago and used the money to buy the salvage and repair it. Ended up coming out ahead because I did the work and a lot of parts had just minor scratches. I didn't have to worry about a salvage title, because the ownership never left my name. I also didn't have to have it inspected. Maybe things have changed?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

I'm definitely doing all the work myself. I'm already two grand ahead and now it's just the fairings that need to be repaired.

I'm gonna look into fiberglassing or some other method of repair for the fairings. I work at a printing company and we can print large vinyl decals. So if I can find some one to design a new sticker for the fairings I should be able to get it printed at cost.

We got any graphic artists on the forum? ;-)

CtrlAltDl

I'm still sore every morning and I'm having back and hip problems and I still have a dislocated rib.

I really can't complain though it could've been much worse.

CtrlAltDl

Dang it, it looks like I have to schedule a VIN inspection and their web site says it can take 4 weeks!

Vehicle Identification Inspections - Washington State Patrol

:banghead: That means no FZ6R for most of the summer! :banghead:
Good news! I only have to wait until July 13th for my inspection.

Now I just have to find a rear fender before then. WA state requires that 60% (i believe) of the wheel has to be covered, so my hacked up fender isn't going to pass the inspection.

nlpyle

I got the stock rear fender laying around in my garage if you want it. I'm down in vancouver, wa. Let me know. Anything I can do to help another rider.
Nate