Torque wrench

gearhead

I need to buy a torque wrench. What size do you all recommend? 3/8", 1/2" etc. I have sockets for both sizes of ratches so it doesn't matter, just wondering what works best. Are there opinions on digital or click-type? What about manufacturer? This is probably where I will shy away from Harbor Freight tools. Anybody with experience using Sears Craftsman torque wrenches?

Comiha22

I'd say you'd find many more uses for a 3/8" over a 1/2", regardless of adapters. 1/2 is for pretty big jobs; I wouldn't say you'd need that much power for anything on your bike, or any car smaller than a full-size truck.

I've personally never been a fan of digital tools, but I'd say to each his own. My Dad has had all Craftsman for 35+ years and swears by it. That said, Husky, Dewalt, and a few others provide similar lifetime guarantees.

FitZ6R

Yup, 3/8" will be the most useful size.

Most of my tools are Craftsman, but I have a Husky 3/8" clicker torque wrench. IIRC, it covers a broader torque range than the Craftsman equivalent.

Another factor is that Craftsman considers torque wrenches to be a "precision tool," rather than a "hand tool," so they're not covered by lifetime warranty.

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I also use a 3/8" clicker-style torque wrench, although I don't recall the manufacturer.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

xplodnstar

In my experience, you can never go wrong with a Craftsman hand tool.

The only problem I've ever had with one was a broken handle on a screwdriver (which I was not using properly) and Sears swapped it right out for me.

Torque wrench specific, try to find a click wrench. The standard ones work, but they are hard to read while your using it. I have trouble stopping at only 12 ft/lbs with those, or getting all the way up to 80 when needed. Of course, being this small, it may be an user issue. :)

TOMIK

I just picked up a 3/8" torque rench frome local hardware store for $19.99 great buy, its not sears, but will do the job. 1/4" looks too big for my use.

MikeN02

I just picked up a 3/8" torque rench frome local hardware store for $19.99 great buy, its not sears, but will do the job. 1/4" looks too big for my use.
I picked up a Click type 1/2 for 27.99 from my local discount auto store. Works great.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member