Tires

DevlDog

Okay so, on my bike I have a stock on the front and a Q2 on the rear(didn't do it, guy that had it before me did), and the front wheel is starting to look a wee bit bald. Still had some tread on it, but I'm going to have to replace it soon. Back wheel doesn't have much wear at all, still looks good.

I am curious about the different kinds of tires that are available. I like the Q2 on the rear, haven't ever felt any slip from it or anything like that. Rides well. Should I buy a brand new front tire and just break it in, or get two? What are the good and bad of the different types? My sister's boyfriend says he likes his Michelins on the GSX-R he has, but I'm not sure I really want to switch brands since my rear tire is still good. I think his are power pures?

Any of you guys have Q3's or Q2's on both wheels or use the Michelins and can tell me about them?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

sammy56

I am having Dunlop Roadsmart II's put on my bike tomorrow. They are Sport Touring tires, but got quite good reviews.
I had the Roadsmart I's on my bike previously and very much liked them (better than the Metzler's from my perspective). I got over 14,000 miles out of the front and over 7000 on the rear and they perform well. Rear could likely go 10,000 but I am changing both at this time.
Only got about 6000 on the Metzler, but it was more of a sport than sport touring in its defence.

DevlDog

JT, is there any real difference between the Dunlop Q2/3 and the Power Pures that you have? Or is it more of like, a Nike vs. Reebok kind of thing? Where both shoes are great, it's more of just how you like the way one feels on your foot more than the other?

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

sammy56

So I just got the Roadsmart IIs installed and really need to ride them for about 70 miles before I can truly comment, but out of the gate they feel great.
They are sport touring tires, but for those not racing they are awesome

DevlDog

Pulled in yesterday after classes at my sister's place(where I keep my bike), and her long-time boyfriend is there(the guy I mentioned riding with before). I had gotten some frame sliders from Shogun, and we were looking at putting them on real quick, and I noticed three little cuts/tears in my front tire. Belt visible through them. Looks like I'm done riding until I can secure a new front tire :mad:

I think I'm probably going to end up going with a Q2 on the front, since that's what I have on the rear. Mix-matching tire types is bad, right?