tinting the windscreen

jersy19

was wondering if anyone tryed self tinting there windscreen. im going to try it next week sometime. so if no ones tried ill let you all know how it goes. prob limo tint or maybe reflective.

R

racebrooks

Why not just spend the $75 bucks and get a nice dark smoke Puig? I have heard that you cannot tint plastic......only glass. And in regards to the Puig.........it's nice.

N

Nick J

Why not just spend the $75 bucks and get a nice dark smoke Puig? I have heard that you cannot tint plastic......only glass. And in regards to the Puig.........it's nice.
I'll second that. I have the dark smoke racing windscreen on my bike and I sure like it.

S

shreveport1

was wondering if anyone tryed self tinting there windscreen. im going to try it next week sometime. so if no ones tried ill let you all know how it goes. prob limo tint or maybe reflective.
You can't tint plastic....it won't stick....you can paint it on the back side and it looks beautiful...Krylon Fusion...:D

euros4life

Agreed. Just paint it, looks great. If you don't like it, then buy the tinted yamaha one. I painted mine and it turned out great.

jersy19

iv got spare tint liing around so ill just try, if not ill prob paint it. but i cant justify 75 to 99 bucks for a piece of plastic. im still having for the exhaust :( lol

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Goat -- That looks really good! :thumbup:

M

madmanmaigret

You can tint plastic. With plastic tint. Check out Rvinyl.com or laminex.com how do you think they make black headlights/taillights?

I tinted my windscreen. It looked like poo. Should have had a professional do it. I also tinted the headlights. Looked o.k. with the lights off but with the lights on you could see all the tiny bubbles that were there. Eventually I just ponied up for the puig. I couldn't paint it because then I wouldn't be able to see through it! Also the headlight tint made the lights dimmer, which is o.k. during the day but not so much at night. The tint I bought was made to tint headlights and it said it only blocked 15% of the light coming out.......I think it was more.

jersy19

well i broke down and painted it while i installed some purple neons to give it a nice glow throughout. some other stuff done too, im going to try to get some pix up when im all done prob in 2 weeks

jersy19

finally done :) im happy with it, im going to put a custom yamaha symbol on the bottom of the windscreen next in silver when i find the right design

Attachments

H

H8 PVMT

goat (or anyone else who painted)....did you paint the inside of the windscreen? How did you prep for it scotchbrite pad? Looks awesome!
More pic's if you can please.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
goat (or anyone else who painted)....did you paint the inside of the windscreen? How did you prep for it scotchbrite pad? Looks awesome!
Yes, if you paint, you want to paint the inside. This way rocks and debris won't chip and scratch the paint on the windscreen.

V

vdbergj1

Tinting yourself or the Yamaha has a aftermarket Raised Bubble tinted windscreen for the FZ6R. Puig, although excellent, has not produced one for the FZ6R yet. They did for the XJ6 Diversion but that is the European bike and Puig is from Italy so I think we'll have to wait a while for the USA FZ6R...:confused:

V

vdbergj1

<Replied a bit late, LoL> Really looks nice - GR8 job :thumbup:

04fizzer

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT scotchbrite the inside of the screen. BAD things will happen. Just clean them with some rubbing alcohol and a lint-free rag, the do multiple LIGHT coats of paint.

jersy19

i just cleaned the inside with some windex and a microfiber cloth and the put 4 or 5 coats of krylon gloss black, about 30 min to an hours between coats and one overnight wait then final coat. used masking tape around edges, forgot to cover the whole front and got some overspray on it but nothing goo gone and microfiber cloth couldnt fix real quick, then windexed the front and put some plastix plastic cleaner/polish stuff . i love it, just trying to find the perfect yamaha design to put on the bottom of it so its not too plain

S

sfcali86

you cant tint plastic trust me i tried, just paint the back of it looks good also not like you really need to look threw it