Ticking noise

Ride&Die

I bought my bike about a month ago, and i have been riding it like normal. i got about 460 miles on it and now i can hear a ticking noise between 4 & 5000 rpms. It sounds like the second hand on a clock, is that normal?

Fizzer6R

sound like it's coming from the engine? - maybe valve noise? under warranty right? - take it in and have them take a look

Ride&Die

i bought it off the show room floor with only 2 miles on it. Yea im pretty sure its comeing from the engine but didnt kno if it was normal. but i ride my bike hard keeping the revs below 7. i have goten them up to 7.5 but i did not keep them their for very long. hope i didnt mess it up

Crocop43

Dude have u never seen a mafia movie? It's obviously a car bomb, In this case a bike bomb.....u might wanna see who ya ticked off and have them cancel the contract on your head.....ethier that or you got an engine problem that should be looked at by a yamaha dealer......but most likely a car bomb

yfz6r

Practically all yamaha motors tick. Put your ear to yours. Its ticking. Some are louder than others. A friend of mine took his FZ1 the shop when it was under warranty and argued for a while untill the sales rep allowed him to start a show floor r6 and put his ear to the motor and hear the tick. My 6r has the tick if I'm listening for it. Ride and be happy!

fz6r marc

About the clock noise

I bought my bike about a month ago, and i have been riding it like normal. i got about 460 miles on it and now i can hear a ticking noise between 4 & 5000 rpms. It sounds like the second hand on a clock, is that normal?
Tick, tick, tock. Is ok. Tick, tock, tic is ok too. Tick tock, tick tock is very very bad. Leave the bike where it stands, and never look back. It may be possessed. :D

nucmedman63

not to ask the dumb ??? have you checked the oil level knowing its a new bike and I have found out you may never always trust the dealer that your oil was full.

Soapartist

i bought it off the show room floor with only 2 miles on it. Yea im pretty sure its comeing from the engine but didnt kno if it was normal. but i ride my bike hard keeping the revs below 7. i have goten them up to 7.5 but i did not keep them their for very long. hope i didnt mess it up
There are a few schools of thought on break in periods and how to break in a new bike, but here is some reading on the subject, which is somewhat controversial, but makes a lot of sense:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

New Motorcycle Check list, Break in

I've used this methoed for 2 of my bikes, a Ninja 250r, and my FZ6R, also changing the oil after the first 20-25 miles.
My brother broke in his Ninja 250R with this method, and his little Ninja was leaving his friends awestruck with the amount of power it had.
The last bike he bought, was a Kawi Zx-10. He didn't take it home, but had the dealership dyno it with specific instructions, and an oil change at 20-25 miles before he ever picked it up, so he didn't have to diddle around with the inconvenience of a break in alternate riding period.

Jay S.

Practically all yamaha motors tick. Put your ear to yours. Its ticking. Some are louder than others. A friend of mine took his FZ1 the shop when it was under warranty and argued for a while untill the sales rep allowed him to start a show floor r6 and put his ear to the motor and hear the tick. My 6r has the tick if I'm listening for it. Ride and be happy!
This is very true! Just put yamaha tick into a search engine and you will find that many yamaha bikes are notorious for having a tick. I'm not saying blow it off. If it's under warranty then let the dealer take a peak, but it is very common on yamaha street bikes.