Thoughts On Shift Points?

Comiha22

Just curious as to how people feel about the recommended shift points in the Owner's Manual.

1st > 2nd: 12.5 mph
2nd > 3rd: 18.8 mph
3rd > 4th: 25.0 mph
4th > 5th: 31.3 mph
5th > 6th: 37.5 mph

I personally think 1>2>3 seem ok, but 3>4>5>6 seem pretty low to me. I feel like the bike likes 3rd gear up until about 40mph. That said, I'm (1) new to motorcycling, and (2) am still in the very early stages of my break-in period (only 70 miles in), so I may not be seeing the whole picture.

Thoughts?

G

Ghost Weim

Just curious as to how people feel about the recommended shift points in the Owner's Manual.

I personally think 1>2>3 seem ok, but 3>4>5>6 seem pretty low to me. I feel like the bike likes 3rd gear up until about 40mph. That said, I'm (1) new to motorcycling, and (2) am still in the very early stages of my break-in period (only 70 miles in), so I may not be seeing the whole picture.

Thoughts?
I agree. The 3>4>5>6 recommendation seems low in my mind. I tend to shift in the 5-6k range like Fz6nick says.

O

oldfast007

Even more importantly (IMO) try to always vary the rpm's don't drone along at set level for too long, as far as the shift points, I to would go slightly towards the higher points. Enjoy:thumbup:

I'm a new rider and still in break in, only 32 miles on my bike and I shift at 4,000 RPM and only got it to 4th gear at about 45 MPH.

S

SovietRobot

My shift points are never the same.
I never even look at the tachometer anymore.
I always keep the gear and RPM appropriate for the situation, which can change rapidly.

S

scottsst

My shift points are never the same.
I never even look at the tachometer anymore.
I always keep the gear and RPM appropriate for the situation, which can change rapidly.
I have always thought the same thing its fluid thing saying that you need to shift at a given speed is BS go with your gut if you feel its time to shift do it .you can always go back a gear if its not right

I know a few guys who red line every gear before they shift. I feel that does harm to the engine but it's there bike not mines.

S

scottsst

that is hard on an engine but at the same time not running it out every once and a while is also bad

F

fz6nick

I know a few guys who red line every gear before they shift. I feel that does harm to the engine but it's there bike not mines.
It all depends on how long they hold it at redline, and how far into redline they go.

I ride hard almost all the time. this conists of shifting near redline a ton. It will not hurt the bike at all if you do not bounce it off the rev limitor.

rleckert

Thoughts?
I got my 6R about a month ago, and had the same question - not only with the shift points you mention, but with the recommended downshift speeds as well, they didn't make any sense at all (when I showed the dealer he couldn't believe that was in the manual). I have found this bike shifts great around 6k, I am still working through the break-in period also so I haven't pushed it to much beyond that.

PrangeWay

Yeah I'm still in break in, shift at around 5500 or so. Though I have spent some time shifting at 7k-8k and the bike performs alot better/smoother, but obviously have to be post break-in b4 that's the norm.

It all depends on how long they hold it at redline, and how far into redline they go.

I ride hard almost all the time. this conists of shifting near redline a ton. It will not hurt the bike at all if you do not bounce it off the rev limitor.
Ok so if your bike red lines at 12,000 RPM then shifting at 11,000 RPM should be fine I take it.

The manual also states to down shift to 1st at 15 MPH. Which I have tried from 4th gear and it is a lot smoother than if you shift at a higher speed.

F

fz6nick

If im riding through town (speed limit 30mph) I will be in second the whole time. Going from a stop to highway speeds its redline time.

When slowing down from highway speeds to a stop, I will blip the throttle at 5k rpms in each gear. Not only does it sound good, you will use more engine braking, and it is a lot smoother

T

thirty_too

i shift around 12k regardless of the gear... i want to be in the power band as much as possible... 1. its fun 2. safer, can get away from cagers

T

thirty_too

i run in 1st or 2nd going through town... obviously you cant be in the power band going 20-40 but the higher my rpm's are the more response from my throttle i have... that and i have the 2bro and they sound fantastic going through town at high rpm's

cbzdel

Something I have noticed.. When I am in 6th on say the freeway and come to a slow due to merging traffic say I get down to 30ish.. I can gun it in 6th from 30 to 70+ with just a minor twist of the wrist, not even trying to push it. Maybe its just because its my first bike, but I feel like I have PLENTY of power in 6th gear, still faster than any car.. I am honestly comfortable doing that, I have no problem staying around the 5k-6k (or higher) area either, depending on what I am doing..

Edit: I lied!! I tried it today and it was slow!! Well faster than my 71 slug bug but you get the point haha.. I must of been in 4th or 5th and "though" I was in 6th for some reason!!

MNDZA

I don't follow any shift points. I just do what the situation calls for. If I'm in moderate traffic and want the ability to move quick if need be, then I hover around 5500rpms. If I'm in a chill situation, such as a one lane road and got cars in front and back, then I'll be around 4000rpms. I usually shift at above 7000rpms though.