Thinking of lowering Bike ( advice )

dodi

I've had my Fz6r for about three weeks now, and have approx 1200 kms on the odometer and am now considering opting out for the lowering link. I had the dealer adjust the preload to the lowest setting and removed / reversed the rubber plugs under the seat ( advice from a member of the forum ) and am wearing thick soled boots with a 2 inch heel ( Daytons ). I am comfortably on the balls of my feet but have some concerns. I am 5'4" tall with a very short inseam. I have been riding for 15 years and have always lowered taller bikes with no ill effects. The preload is not set up for my weight and many people have told me about the ill effects of having the preload dialed all the way down in terms of handling ( wallowing in the corners ) the seat base is loose and has a lot of play in it, and I would rather wear my Sidi or Puma motorcycle boots that allow me greater control over the brake and shift levers. At first I thought the Roaring Toyz link would lower the bike too much ( 1.75 inches ), but after 1200kms of riding and with all my adjustments the bike feels a little tall for me. My riding enjoyment and confidence would increase with the lowering. Adjusting the preload back up to at least factory settings ( i weigh approx 170 pds ) and adjusting the seat would increase the seat height back to stock. The lowering link would probably net me at least one inch lower from where I am now. I would Lower the front to match as well. I would like some advice on whether I should lower the bike or just keep riding for a while. Any input regarding lowering the bike would be appreciated, as well as some input from those members who have lowered their bikes with regards to handling, stiffness of the lowered suspension etc..... Any input or advice woulds be appreciated. Thank you so much.

I've had my Fz6r for about three weeks now, and have approx 1200 kms on the odometer and am now considering opting out for the lowering link. I had the dealer adjust the preload to the lowest setting and removed / reversed the rubber plugs under the seat ( advice from a member of the forum ) and am wearing thick soled boots with a 2 inch heel ( Daytons ). I am comfortably on the balls of my feet but have some concerns. I am 5'4" tall with a very short inseam. I have been riding for 15 years and have always lowered taller bikes with no ill effects. The preload is not set up for my weight and many people have told me about the ill effects of having the preload dialed all the way down in terms of handling ( wallowing in the corners ) the seat base is loose and has a lot of play in it, and I would rather wear my Sidi or Puma motorcycle boots that allow me greater control over the brake and shift levers. At first I thought the Roaring Toyz link would lower the bike too much ( 1.75 inches ), but after 1200kms of riding and with all my adjustments the bike feels a little tall for me. My riding enjoyment and confidence would increase with the lowering. Adjusting the preload back up to at least factory settings ( i weigh approx 170 pds ) and adjusting the seat would increase the seat height back to stock. The lowering link would probably net me at least one inch lower from where I am now. I would Lower the front to match as well. I would like some advice on whether I should lower the bike or just keep riding for a while. Any input regarding lowering the bike would be appreciated, as well as some input from those members who have lowered their bikes with regards to handling, stiffness of the lowered suspension etc..... Any input or advice woulds be appreciated. Thank you so much.

I lowered my first bike ninja ex500 because I would keep dropping it. Ever since lowering it I haven't dropped any of my bikes.

If you think you'd feel more comfortable lowering it then by all means, lower it. The bike is yours and yours only, it's ment for you to be comfortable on and not others.

Like I told many other people, I'm not taking it to a track, I'm not Rossi and have to drag a knee at every corner I see. I just ride because I like to be on two wheels.

Lowering it does limit your ability or the bikes ability to wheelie, and take corners at a lower angle than usual. I'm the same height as you and have a very short inseam as well, but I weigh about 150. If I wouldn't have lowered it I would be very angry at my self because I know I would have dropped it.

There is another option other than the lowering link - there is a replacement spring that you can purchase that will drop the bike 1.5 inches and you don't have to replce the kickstand - my wife is 5'4" and she sat on one lowered with the spring option at a plano dealership and she was almost flat footed

The lowering kit from Roaring Toyz, while lowering the bike, doesn't get quite 1.75" out of it. It all depends on how far you raise the forks in the triples as well. I installed the link on my wife's bike (I wrote their install document. ;) ) and only lowered her front by raising the forks 3/4" and her net gain was 1.25" lower at the seat. The handling is still very good and didn't seem to sacrifice much in cornering at all. You can go, IMHO, another 3/4" or 1.5" total on the front and gain close to the 1.75" total for the lowering but I wanted her bike to be more stable on straights where the other 3/4" would have made it a little less stable there but much better at carving corners, something she's not much into (yet).

Hope that helps!

Back