The Outcome

redwing-2001

sounds like you have a pretty smart mom and a lot of it rubbed off on you. Take the MSF Basic RiderCourse and you will have a better idea of what riding a motorcycle is about and what you need to practice. I had a young man on a 250 Ninja in my Advanced RiderCourse the other day who rode faster, more skillfully than any one else in the class. Go with what is right for you and the style of riding you are planning to do. Your choice will probably change over time and that is ok. All of the horror stories that I see and hear about are about the ones that start out with too much motorcycle for the skill level they are at. You are on the right path.

Rawknrohl

Some of the most fun I've ever had is on a 250 ninja, it's fun to be able to push a bike to its limits without worrying that an accidental slip of the throttle will leave you wondering where your bike went while you pick yourself up off the ground. Any rider that talks sh*t about you learning on a smaller bike is not worth knowing. I started on an 1100cc cruiser and scared the hell out of myself a few times before getting comfortable on it. The only warning I'd give you is that from what I have seen, you'll be ready for a bigger bike in 6 months or less so I woulld suggest a used but good running bike(not a great idea to learn on something with potential mechanical problems), maybe even an on/off road that you can dump repeatedly with very little consequence. The MSF class is great, very much worth taking but it won't help much with getting used to 2 wheels in the real world and around traffic. The most important part of my learning curve was riding in pretty rural areas with as little traffic as possible. As for as I am concerned you're are wise beyond your years for recognizing your own limitations, type "newb on sport bike" into youtube and you'll see how rare that really is.:p Hope to see you around.:)

oldtouring b

Kawasaki makes

A good looking and performing 500 cc. Might be worth a look. Very light with a low seat height.

If you have your financing set through your bank or credit union. then find a newer rider that is ready to move up. Make sure they are truthful about the condition of the bike. You can generally tell by the condition of there home if they take good care of their toys. I always buy the person first and then the bike. I have never been ddissapointed.

popeye

Mate i have to aplaude your maturity and sense of responsibility.
I thought i put my 2cents worth since i have a bit of experience dealing with young men and bikes.
My two sons 22 and 18 got into riding and i had countless conversations on what bikes they like/want.(atm they ride dirt bikes)
It always starts with whats cool,fast and what everybody else thinks.

I will tell you what i always tell them, it doesn't matter what you ride so long as you are in control .
If you are mature enough to know your limits it doesn't matter how fast the bike is.

You can fall off and hurt yourself riding a 50cc scooter (trust me i seen it happen)
In my opinion there is no such a thing as a forgiving bike ,it always hurts when you hit the ground .

As someone else said before the best thing you could do is read books ,take riding courses and ask questions .
Buy something you think you will be comfortable with and ride as much as you can.
Remember that you are looking to buy your first bike ,you don't have to keep it forever and once you start riding you never stop learning.

Good luck

Jay S.

Well guys... Unfortunately I didn't buy the bike. I did ALOT of thinking today and at the end of the day I decided it just isn't the right bike for me. Long story short it was just to much bike for me in all aspects. I rode it in a vacant parking lot with plenty of room and had no problems driving at all or shifting or any of that non-sense (counter steering came 100% naturally for anyone who is concerned about that) but it was when I got off and was riding back to my house with my parents that it started to form in my brain that I was getting in over my head. I was imagining all of the "unknown" because although I could get from point a to point b on it, i was no where near driving it in traffic much less a crowded college town with lots of crazy drivers and tons of sloped red lights haha. Basically I did not feel like I was going to be able to learn (and enjoy learning) how to ride a motorcycle on that particular bike because I would always be scared that if I messed up it was game over being the fact that it is a 600cc bike. So with all of that being said this is probably a disappointing thread but it doesn't have to be! I have new plans!

My new plans are to take the MSF course with my friend who is also interested in getting a motorcycle in 2 weeks and then go test drive a 2011 ninja 250r and a 2011 honda cbr250r and then get whichever i like more! :D

In all honestly I pussied out on the 600cc but whatever.. It just wasn't right for me. Better off alive with a 250 then dead with a 600 :cool: And if i fall in love with riding i can always resell the 250 for almost the same price i bought it and get a 600cc or 1000cc!! :D

P.S. - my mom said something that really helped me make my decision and it was something along these lines... "it would be more fun to drive a slower bike that your confident on and you can safely push it to its limits, than it would be to drive a fast bike that your constantly scared of" i guess take it for what its worth. just thought i'd post this up for anyone who wanted to hear it
I nominate this for a "sticky." No joke...

Good on ya for having a smart head on your shoulders. You have your whole life to step up to a bigger bike.

:steve:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Doggman

Whoa! Hold on a second everybody. Just because the 6R was good for YOU, or a 250 was not enough for YOU doesn't mean it is the same way for HIM!

It sounds to me like he has taken the time to reflect and honestly assess himself and he feels like he may not be ready for a 6R yet. NOBODY HERE KNOWS DOGGMAN BETTER THAN HE KNOWS HIMSELF! Maybe he will feel more comfortable after the BRC and be mentally prepared for a 6R, but right now he doesn't feel comfortable and, therefore, isn't mentally prepared for a 6R. To pressure him into buying a bike he isn't ready for is irresponsible IMO, not to mention potentially dangerous.

Get what you feel comfortable with after the BRC Doggman. If you "outgrow" it quickly you can sell it and get a bike with a little more "juice". The 250s hold their value pretty well, and there will be new riders looking for one to learn on. You won't "lose" anything by going that route. Even if you sell the bike after 6 months for $300 less than you paid. Consider it an investment in your enjoyment, knowledge, and confidence in riding. You'd be wasting your money and time buying too much bike, scare the crap out of yourself, and sell it. In that case you'd lose all around. However, if you take the course and YOU feel ready for a 6R, get one! It really is a great bike!
:thumbup::thumbup: your the man :)

sounds like you have a pretty smart mom and a lot of it rubbed off on you. Take the MSF Basic RiderCourse and you will have a better idea of what riding a motorcycle is about and what you need to practice. I had a young man on a 250 Ninja in my Advanced RiderCourse the other day who rode faster, more skillfully than any one else in the class. Go with what is right for you and the style of riding you are planning to do. Your choice will probably change over time and that is ok. All of the horror stories that I see and hear about are about the ones that start out with too much motorcycle for the skill level they are at. You are on the right path.
:thumbup:

Some of the most fun I've ever had is on a 250 ninja, it's fun to be able to push a bike to its limits without worrying that an accidental slip of the throttle will leave you wondering where your bike went while you pick yourself up off the ground. Any rider that talks sh*t about you learning on a smaller bike is not worth knowing. I started on an 1100cc cruiser and scared the hell out of myself a few times before getting comfortable on it. The only warning I'd give you is that from what I have seen, you'll be ready for a bigger bike in 6 months or less so I woulld suggest a used but good running bike(not a great idea to learn on something with potential mechanical problems), maybe even an on/off road that you can dump repeatedly with very little consequence. The MSF class is great, very much worth taking but it won't help much with getting used to 2 wheels in the real world and around traffic. The most important part of my learning curve was riding in pretty rural areas with as little traffic as possible. As for as I am concerned you're are wise beyond your years for recognizing your own limitations, type "newb on sport bike" into youtube and you'll see how rare that really is.:p Hope to see you around.:)
:thumbup::thumbup: great post man. i especially agree with your first sentence or two.

Mate i have to aplaude your maturity and sense of responsibility.
I thought i put my 2cents worth since i have a bit of experience dealing with young men and bikes.
My two sons 22 and 18 got into riding and i had countless conversations on what bikes they like/want.(atm they ride dirt bikes)
It always starts with whats cool,fast and what everybody else thinks.

I will tell you what i always tell them, it doesn't matter what you ride so long as you are in control .
If you are mature enough to know your limits it doesn't matter how fast the bike is.

You can fall off and hurt yourself riding a 50cc scooter (trust me i seen it happen)
In my opinion there is no such a thing as a forgiving bike ,it always hurts when you hit the ground .

As someone else said before the best thing you could do is read books ,take riding courses and ask questions .
Buy something you think you will be comfortable with and ride as much as you can.
Remember that you are looking to buy your first bike ,you don't have to keep it forever and once you start riding you never stop learning.

Good luck
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: once again another great post. theres a lot of win in this post here. i think i was a lot like your two sons when I went looking at the FZ6R; i wanted to be cool, fast, and envied but now (with the help of my parents) i have taken a step back and I am trying to maturely approach the idea of learning how to ride and purchase a motorcycle thats best for me at this time and place (in college and first time rider).

I nominate this for a "sticky." No joke...

Good on ya for having a smart head on your shoulders. You have your whole life to step up to a bigger bike.

:steve:
haha that would be sweet but it's probably not sticky worthy. I've never had one of my posts made into a sticky and i've been on many-a-forum in my day :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:

Doggman

Now with all of the above being said....haha...I will give you guys an update of where I am. Right now I am waiting to take the MSF course which I will probably end up taking during Thanksgiving so it doesn't interfere with school to much. In the mean-time i plan to really make sure that I do want a motorcycle for myself to ride and enjoy and not just to be "cool" although they are pretty badass :D I also plan to keep shopping for bikes and to remain active on this forum because this is pretty cool forum community :thumb up:

Now... to defend my potential Ninja 250r purchase to the nay-sayers out there :mad::mad:
Pros:
1. easy to learn on
2. cheap as hell (comparatively)
3. visually up to par (obviously the FZ6R does look better but for a 250 and half the price you gotta admit the Ninja looks pretty cool :cool:)
4. re-sellability (this is one of the things i like most about this bike... there are tons of 08s,09s,10s with ~1000-3000 miles on them that are going for $3500+.... thats a $500 hit to ride for a couple of thousand miles on this thing? not only is it well worth the money in my mind, its also well worth getting NEW versus used when it comes to Ninjas. However thats just my opinion.)
5. I can safely push this bike to its limits without putting myself in a ton of danger but I imagine if I took a FZ6R slow I could do the same with it, obviously over a much longer period of time but either way its something to consider
6. Great for around college due to slower speeds and gas mileage. I don't ever plan to take this bike to the track and would only go out to the interstate or highway to ride with friends but I don't really imagine that happening very often
7. So to wrap up I get a NEW, $4000, visually badass, beginner friendly bike that I can have fun maxing out and will be great for what I plan to use it for

Cons:
1. Slow :(
2. Small rear tire :rant: (cosmetically looks weak haha)
3. Slow :(
4. Might want to upgrade not long after
5. Slow :(
6. Carburetor... If only this thing was fuel injected... I do live in a very warm state (Alabama) so maybe it won't be as much of an issue for me.
7. Slow :(

Well thats about where I stand right now. Feel free to comment, make suggestions, disagree with my points above***, ask questions, etc.

***this helps me to make my decision. if i can argue it back or disregard your opinion then it further supports that bike and my decision to get it :D

Thanks for all the responses, John

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Doggman

Have you look at the new CBR250? Comes FI and ABS. A little down on peak HP from the Ninjette, but seams to have a better mid range. The review were really good. Ask CC, he test drove one I believe.

2011 CBR250R Overview - Honda Powersports
Yes I am also looking into this one a lot but I personally think it looks ugly in the pictures haha. Haven't seen one in person so maybe i'll like it better once i see it for real. The fuel injection would probably be really nice to have tho.

See red

Might I suggest the hyosung gt250? I believe it is also fuel injected. and the cost is the same.

But do what real men do, what YOU feel is right.

Our opinions are just that, opinions.... we don't count when it comes time to sign the check, bail you outa jail, you know the crap that YOU have to do. I would say the ninjette is pretty cool in the fact that you can actually put hard case luggage on it and your stuff can be locked up while your in classes.

I do know a guy who ran a gt250r with side bags and a trunk, a circle 2 tims a years. Started in Chicago, drove down to see parents in Orlando, then over to vermont to see his god father/uncle. and back home! Every year on that thing! That dude was a rider.

Doggman

Might I suggest the hyosung gt250? I believe it is also fuel injected. and the cost is the same.

But do what real men do, what YOU feel is right.

Our opinions are just that, opinions.... we don't count when it comes time to sign the check, bail you outa jail, you know the crap that YOU have to do. I would say the ninjette is pretty cool in the fact that you can actually put hard case luggage on it and your stuff can be locked up while your in classes.

I do know a guy who ran a gt250r with side bags and a trunk, a circle 2 tims a years. Started in Chicago, drove down to see parents in Orlando, then over to vermont to see his god father/uncle. and back home! Every year on that thing! That dude was a rider.
That gt250r looks pretty sweet. Will look into it. However I went to their website and it says that the fuel system is 2 Carburetor Mikuni BDS26 so doesn't appear to be fuel injected. Either way cool bike. Thanks for posting.

CrazyCawi

Yes I am also looking into this one a lot but I personally think it looks ugly in the pictures haha. Haven't seen one in person so maybe i'll like it better once i see it for real. The fuel injection would probably be really nice to have tho.
They are very nice actually. Coming from a rider whos been on a bike for two years....put on about 20k miles(which isnt a ton)...the CBR 250R was A LOT of fun. The thing tears! Someone on the track whos good with a bike could easily overtake 600's out there with a basic rider on them. Powerwise it was very enjoyable. The only tough part is if you highway cruising speed is roughly around80-85ish you will be pushing hte bike kinda hard on longer trips. Cosmetically they look amazing, and a hell of a lot more comfy then the ninjette. Plus honda knows what they are doing, the bike is solid!

Doggman

They are very nice actually. Coming from a rider whos been on a bike for two years....put on about 20k miles(which isnt a ton)...the CBR 250R was A LOT of fun. The thing tears! Someone on the track whos good with a bike could easily overtake 600's out there with a basic rider on them. Powerwise it was very enjoyable. The only tough part is if you highway cruising speed is roughly around80-85ish you will be pushing hte bike kinda hard on longer trips. Cosmetically they look amazing, and a hell of a lot more comfy then the ninjette. Plus honda knows what they are doing, the bike is solid!
Hm interesting. My friend wants the Honda and I want the Kawasaki but neither of us are sold so were gonna go look at both some time. I've never seen the honda in person but I actually saw an 08 or so ninja 250r parked on campus today and I liked it a lot. If I get one I will most likely get the dealership to swap out the tires for 120/70 up front and 150/60 in the rear. I think that'll help out the looks of the bike a lot. I will post up with our opinions after we take a look at them in person.

Deanohh

I'm not going to read your thread anymore until you complete the safety course where they provide 250's for you to ride around on. After that you won't want any 250 anymore so there's no sense in agonizing over the details of a decision at this time.

applejax

I'm not going to read your thread anymore until you complete the safety course where they provide 250's for you to ride around on. After that you won't want any 250 anymore so there's no sense in agonizing over the details of a decision at this time.

I went from the 125/250cc the course offers to my fz6r and i couldnt be happier. The first day i was a little nervous, but after that i was comfy being on that bike. Im glad i didnt go the route and get the 250cc (was looking at a cbr/ninja) first.

Doggman

I went from the 125/250cc the course offers to my fz6r and i couldnt be happier. The first day i was a little nervous, but after that i was comfy being on that bike. Im glad i didnt go the route and get the 250cc (was looking at a cbr/ninja) first.
will keep this in mind