The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Autumn in PA

D52

Living in Western PA, late summer/early autumn is definitely one of the best times of the year: The wretched humidity is gone, temps stay in the 70s, and rainy days are far and few between (by PA standards.) Oh, an there's pumpkin beer. It's especially refreshing this year after the incessant rain all summer long. All that means one thing... more riding! (Minus the beer, but that can wait til the riding is done for the day.)

THE GOOD
Last week was entirely dry, meaning I was able to take the bike to work most of the week, as well as run some errands and go for a ride with a friend. Ended up putting 428 miles on the bike! Not too shabby considering I've had my FZ6R for 16 months and currently have just 5200 miles on it. Today was the only rainy day (it rained for 20 minutes) and is supposed to be dry again for another 7 days.

THE BAD
Fresh and tar and chips. Seriously. It's cheap to do, and, well, that's about it. My friend was leading on aforementioned ride and we ended up on a road that he was unaware was just tar and chipped. Allright, no problem. Road is straight, ride slow, everything under control.

3/4 mile later, road ends... awesome.
On a steep downhill slope... not so awesome.
We have to make a sharp (135 degrees) right turn... well now...
Onto a road that's also going downhill... this is going be interesting.
That's full of traffic going 55mph... ... ...

$#!+

Bike went down in a pool of gravel.

Frame slider absorbed 90% of the damage. Fairing escaped unscathed minus 2 tiny scrapes on the corner that I didn't even notice until I cleaned the bike today (they looked like dead bugs) Outside of the air scoop took the rest of the damage. It looks worse in the pic than it actually is. Was able to clean it up a bit and a couple applications of Back to Black shined it up and made it less noticeable until you get up close. Wasn't really upset about any of this, but the scratch on my tank that I also just noticed today is kinda bothering me. It's a straight line in a rather strange location based compared to where the rest of the damage occurred. (This actually is worse than the pic shows.) It's just deep enough that I can't do anything about it. I'm hoping it was just a large, sharp stone sticking up as opposed to an intentional act by someone.

THE UGLY
Well, the frame sliders prevented the ugly from happening. I'm fine, the bike is essentially fine, and I can always buy a new set of sliders.

For any new members who don't yet have sliders, the proof is in the pictures that they serve as cheap insurance! Invest in them!

Here's hoping for another 428 miles this week! (This time without the drop.)

Attachments

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member