The fiancee and I had a talk

ninja 250 can easily do 70-80.... with a lot of wiggle room... it's the hills/mountains that will kill it...

and, buy it used... they hold their value because they are bought and sold so often as beginner bikes... if I weren't 220 lbs without gear, I'd have started that way, great little bike to throw around.

I've got an 09 Ninja 250, and it's a great little bike... The older ones get about 10mpg better gas mileage than the 08 and newer. The 08 and newer are made to get more starting power off the stop (it can beat an FZ6 off the stop for the first 50ft) and the older ones have a little more at the top. Ninja can out corner a lot of bigger bikes.
Mine will do 95 with a 6'3" 220lb guy on it LOL ... I only know that because I was riding my son's FZ6 at 110 and he told me how fast he was going to try to keep up :p.
Ninja 250 is not the greatest for riding the interstate though. The mirrors are difficult to see traffic, unless spacers/extenders are installed.
She'd like it for a while, but if you try to go any long distance, the seat may get uncomfortable quickly.

Congrats on getting her interested on joining you on a bike. I can attest that it is easier to have your better half involved in this hobby. It just makes things a lot easier without hearing about how dangerous they are every time you start it up. Anyways, the FZ6R although considered a beginner bike, can be overwhelming to very new riders. My wife wouldn't consider riding mine as of now but I know she will change her mind next spring. I'll be looking for a white and pink FZ6R next spring when the weather breaks I'm sure. For now she is learning on the Kawazaki EX250 and doing well on it. I bought it cheap on craigslist, and will sell it there too when the day comes for her upgrade. These things don't lose much value since they are true beginner bikes with a lot of forgivable mistakes, and there is always a market for beginner bikes. I can't tell you what to buy for your girl, but I wouldn't want to equip her with a gun to a knife fight. WTG with the MSF classes, they are well worth it. If she is set on your FZ, then take it slow with her and I wish you the best. As far as insurance, my 2009 FZ with State Farm is 25 bucks a month, and the Ninja is 12 for full coverage with 250 buck deductible on both. Then again, I'm an old fart without any claims on my policy. :)

Then again, I'm an old fart without any claims on my policy. :)

I love the old fart rates:D mine are about as good as yours cause I'm an old fart too.
Seems like we should get more of a fleet rate for the number of motorcycles we insure. I've got 4, my husband has 2, and we are both old farts.

You may want to check into switching auto insurance companies then. I'm with State Farm and they charge by the cc. Doesn't matter if it's a supersport or a cruiser. I went from a 2004 Ninja 500 to the 2009 FZ6R and my payments went up about $10/month.

I am going from a 500EX and looking closely at the FZ6R. Does the 6R have noticeably more power besides a more refined feel?

Back