Teaspoon of oil? ! ?

DanielW0830

To winterize my new FZ6R (Bought in Oct) I read in the manual to pull the plugs and and put a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder.

With my ninja I would just turn off the fuel line, run out the fuel, and add fuel stabilizer.

any comments about this procedure ?

PS. Winter sucks unless you are a polar bear.

FitZ6R

To winterize my new FZ6R (Bought in Oct) I read in the manual to pull the plugs and and put a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder.

With my ninja I would just turn off the fuel line, run out the fuel, and add fuel stabilizer.

any comments about this procedure ?
The next step is key: crank the engine with the plugs removed to distribute the oil. Otherwise it will just puddle at the lowest spot in the cylinder. The oil will burn out within seconds the next time the engine is started, so it's only worth doing if you're really winterizing your bike for several months storage.

Personallly, I've never done it, becase I can never bring myself to admit that I've had the last ride of the season. :eek:

Fuel stabilizer is good, but add it with a fresh tank of gas and then run the bike a bit to get the stabilizer througout the fuel system.

SilentT

Winter Prep

Stabil in a full tank of high test. Pigtail lead to Battery for Battery Tender (you won't regret it) Start it up every two weeks - no need to oil the cylinders if you do that