TBR Exhaust and Break In

MaximumHP

So I finally picked up my new FZ6R yesterday and got a few miles on it before the next rain storm hits today. Since I really bought it 3 weeks ago, the inability to get it home has forced me to spend my time acquiring mods for the bike vs. riding or even looking at it. In my habitual craigslist perusing I discovered a used TBR exhaust and picked up a juicebox from a member here.

My question is:
Should I wait until I break the bike in a bit before I throw the exhaust on it? My thought was after the 600 mile service I’d install it. Looking for opinions, should I throw it on now with almost no miles on bike, wait for the 600 mile service, or wait until the 1000 mi break-in completion per the manual. Obviously the 1000mi mark would be the safest, but I don’t know if I can hold myself back that long.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

MaximumHP

We'll see if I can handle that kind of noise. Without question I will try it though. I generally like my vehicles louder, but my threshold has gotten lower as I get older. Honestly I was just going to mod the stock exhaust, but found the TBR on craigslist for $400, couldn't pass it up.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

MaximumHP

OK, I was thinking the two things that concerned me with the change were fuel mixture (burning hotter/colder than normal somehow affecting the metallurgy during break-in) and possibly back pressure (somehow could change the dynamic of the rings or something) I tend to overanalyze this type of stuff, it just in my genes. :cool:

I'll just blame all of you if my engine blows up :D

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

bloodypulp

just baby it <3

u could do this for fun lol

under 4k rpms 0-100 miles
under 5K 100-200
under 6k 200-300
under 7k 300-400
under 8k 400-500
under 9k 500-1000
Just hit 4k miles last mo. Was under 6k all along . Just started going up to 9-10k couple weeks ago but that's just cause I didn't know how reach its potential . Freakin noob

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MaximumHP

just baby it <3

u could do this for fun lol

under 4k rpms 0-100 miles
under 5K 100-200
under 6k 200-300
under 7k 300-400
under 8k 400-500
under 9k 500-1000
Too late, I've already inflicted more pain than that. there is no way I can wait 1000 miles before ringing her out.

SpawnXX

Premium Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MaximumHP

It's my understanding that your warranty claim cannot be denied because of modding unless they can prove your mod caused the problem.
True, but I had a friend that they refused to do warranty work (Third part warranty) when he blew his transmission because they said his cat-back exhaust on his Prelude added more power than the transmission was designed to handle. We all know it’s a load of crock, but loopholes exist unfortunately. He actually blew it doing burnouts so didn’t fight too hard since it was damaged in an act of stupidity. We were also teenagers with no money to pursue any litigation.

I’m not terribly worried about it. If there was something unrelated seriously wrong, I could throw the stock back on.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member