Target fixation=BAD! trust me

jccity6

Ok, so I wasnt really going to post this but I'm hoping it may help somebody-anybody.
Readers Digest version= Planned for a nice long ride up some fairly twisty mountain roads in the California foothills and have a nice day out on the bike. Had been riding for about an hour when I started in some s-turns. So, I probly was coming into the turn a little hot, but in all honesty it shouldn't have been a problem. But then i did it. As I was looking into the upcoming left hand turn, I MOMENTARILY looked to the right toward the hillside/roadside and noticed the loose dirt:eek:.
Guess where the bike went
Thats correct, straight toward the hillside and into the loose dirt. Ended up low-siding on the left at about 40mhp into the dirt. Let me tell you, FULL GEAR KICKS ASS!! My gloves were destroyed but saved my hands completely and I did break a rib but that was from the force of falling on my left side(cant help that). Zero road rash and no other injuries to complain about. Bike was pretty hammered and I just got it back from the shop with alot of new parts on the left and front portions.
Lessons I learned:
1- Don't ride above your ability (I'm fairly new)
2-ATGATT- period. If it's hot wear a vented jacket. If your in a hurry drive your car.
3-Yor bike will go where your eyes lead-if you let it
4-Dont panic. readjust and finish the turn!
I think thats about it. short and to the point but I hope it helps keep someone upright.
I know it doesn't look all that bad but there is a lot of road rash all over the left side and the right side mirror was ripped off somehow. Sorry not more pics
Overall, Im happy I got away how I did.

Attachments

JustKatie

Very glad that you are okay, your bike can be fixed but there is only one of you! Thanks for putting your experience out there for others to learn from, that is not an easy thing to do. Be sure to get back up on that pony and ride, don't let it "beat" you.

Osoreru

Good to hear you made it out mostly unscathed. Also good that everything got fixed up alright. That loose dirt is a nightmare sometimes.

stevet

You are so right your bike will go where your eyes go. It also helps to keep your vision way ahead of you. You can take turns much better that way.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

See red

Glad your ok, my dad did the same thing. At least you geared up, dam sudden stops though.

I glad to hear you didn't do the typical, and try to put a hand out to break it, oops .. I mean to stop your fall LOL! that is the one I hear about the ost, broken wrists.

DragonBlu

Glad you came out mostly in good shape. Well done with ATGATT. Thanks for owning up to a mistake and posting it,you just might prevent someone else from having the same misfortune. Well done sir!

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member