Tank painting

Garvinator

Hey guys,
I have a white fz6r that I converted to a streetfighter. I painted the tank black with plastic dip and it looks great but I want a more permanent option. I was wondering if some of you painted it yourself or if you think I should. I think I should sand it until the metal, put primer then paint. My friends think I should just rough up the paint and spray on it. Any advise?

Rumpig

Just give it a light rub with 600 grit wet and dry and clean it thoroughly , as long as there's no shiny spots once your done it will stick fine.

Its a bit more detailed than that if you want nice and durable.

1. Wipe with prep-sol to remove grease, dirt, silicone
2. Repeat #1 with new towel.
3. Wet sand with 600 wet dry using water and mild detergent mix. Dry with clean towel. Goal is uniform scuffing with no gouges or scratches. Hint the oem primer and paint is better than anything you can do at home. Leave it. If you end up fixing dents or using filler, NOW you need a compatible primer. In that case, prime over 320 grit.
4. Choose a base coat clear coat product and color. You'll need reducer, hardner, filters spray gun and a compressor that doesnt shoot oil. Lines that have no oil in them.
5. Mix base coat paint in ratio needed for temperature. Add hardener. Spray a test pattern.
6. Wipe tank with prep-sol. Wipe with tack cloth.
Spray base coat. Temps should be 70 to 80 and low humidity. Let it tack well so it doesn't run. Repeat with 3 to 4 coats for proper color.
7. Allow to tack. Clean guns and mix clear coat if all went well.
8. Apply 5 to 6 coats of clear. Allow to dry for a day at least...
9. Wet sand to remove any debris or orange peel using progressive steps from 800 to 1800 grit wet dry and soap n water. Polish to mirror finish!

Its fun but doing it right is expensive....

It's all a matter of how well you want the final product to be. Final Impact's method will give great results if followed properly. "Just roughing up the paint" is the bare minimum required to paint the tank; otherwise the new paint won't stick. It's one of those you get out what you put into it sort of deals.

A huge factor is cleaning and removing surface impurities like wax, silicone, grease etc before you sand.
These invisible items once smeared into freshly broken surface cause a lot paint problems.

Again, before breaking the surface, wash with soap and water, wipe with prep-sol. Repeat 2x to 3x. Then sand.
It sucks to start painting and have fishers or fisheye bubbles where the paint swims away from the impurities. It kills the thrill of fresh look.