Suspension Settings...

adam_fozz

Hi All, I have read about 5 threads about this so far and I still have some questions.

I have the XJ6n from the UK but I think the principle will still be the same depite the slight weight difference of the bike.

Im 140lbs without gear on and am currently set at factory (3) on the rear preload.

I was thinking of dropping it to two based on my weight but then I read a contradicting thread saying that you should add 1 or 2 notches if you like to ride fast / hard.

I would use the change it and ride it method to see which I prefer but my background is in Crossers and I dont think I would have the knowledge of cornering etc to tell much of a difference.

Of course there is always the measuring route...1 third of the total travel in sag when you sit on the bike...but im not convinced how accurate you can be with a shock with only seven settings rather than an adjuster ring and lock ring.

Please give me your two cents worth!

Adam_Fozz

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I'm 230 without gear and on 6 and happy with that setting. Like Dart said, just try it on different settings. This bikes suspension isn't adjustable enough to get technical with the suspension settings.

CrazyCawi

how do you adjust it? Ill search when I get home but im on taptalk right now

sammy56

Hi All, I have read about 5 threads about this so far and I still have some questions.

I have the XJ6n from the UK but I think the principle will still be the same depite the slight weight difference of the bike.

Im 140lbs without gear on and am currently set at factory (3) on the rear preload.

I was thinking of dropping it to two based on my weight but then I read a contradicting thread saying that you should add 1 or 2 notches if you like to ride fast / hard.

I would use the change it and ride it method to see which I prefer but my background is in Crossers and I dont think I would have the knowledge of cornering etc to tell much of a difference.

Of course there is always the measuring route...1 third of the total travel in sag when you sit on the bike...but im not convinced how accurate you can be with a shock with only seven settings rather than an adjuster ring and lock ring.

Please give me your two cents worth!

Adam_Fozz
It's personal preference as anything else and depends on the type of riding you do. Generally though you are likely fine at 3 or 4. I wouldn't bother dropping it to 2 if I were you.
I am 170 lbs and I keep my pre-load at 6!

LB

See red

FYI the tool is called a spanner wrench. You can order one that's thicker and has a longer handle for at home so it's easier. I just have them for fixing spindles, but leave the tool kit under the seat for emergancies.

adam_fozz

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I think I might just try going down to two, just to see what happens. The roads arent exactly smooth around where i live and I just sometimes feel like its not reacting right to small bumps in the road.

My thoughts are that going down to two or one will soften the suspension and help the bike the smooth out these bumps.

Let me know if ive got the wrong end of the stick.
Adam_Fozz

sammy56

Thanks for the replies. Yea, I think I might just try going down to two, just to see what happens. The roads arent exactly smooth around where i live and I just sometimes feel like its not reacting right to small bumps in the road.

My thoughts are that going down to two or one will soften the suspension and help the bike the smooth out these bumps.

Let me know if ive got the wrong end of the stick.
Adam_Fozz
Just get a Chesterfield with wheels, you will be much happier!

LB

ScottM

What's a chesterfield?

I adjusted mine down to "2" and that made it more comfortable to ride (less jaring on small road imperfections.)

I live in SW Florida so I dont do a lot of canyon carving.

adam_fozz

What's a chesterfield?

I adjusted mine down to "2" and that made it more comfortable to ride (less jaring on small road imperfections.)

A chesterfield is an old persons sofa!!!! :D

Sorry Sammy56...you asked for that one!

Adam_Fozz

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

sammy56

A chesterfield is an old persons sofa!!!! :D

Sorry Sammy56...you asked for that one!

Adam_Fozz
Just trying to help with the any language barrier y'all have in the old country.

e.blackadder

What's a chesterfield?

Soft is nice for running slab. I went that way at first, but had the feeling of the rear sliding from underneath me with deeper lean. Changed it to stiffer, which could be a bit rough on beaten roads, but more stable in corners.