Elite Member
Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Detrich

I never could figure out how that damn tool worked. Tried over m over and it seemed impossible to turn. All it did was scuff up the little holes where you turn the dial. :(

Lucky for me, later on I went to get measured for suspension setup with all my gear. And the factory setting of 3 was the proper setting for my weight. At the time I weighed about 145 lbs, so about 155 or 160 lbs with full leathers/ gear.

I believe all Yamaha bikes come with factory suspension setup for a rider of about 155 lbs. So unless u r grossly over that weight or grossly under, u don't really need to adjust the suspension.

The proper setting requires getting a suspension setup, which most shops do for about $50. U cannot do it yourself accurately, because they have to measure the rebound and recoil with u on and off the bike.

Last edited:

vkamnev

any weight rating on these preloads? I set it to 7 first, but wasn't good, 5 does better, but I just want to know.

Detrich

factory setting of 3 = 155 lbs approximately...

the higher the number the stiffer the suspension i believe. so if u weigh over 200 lbs, then yes- you'll want to get a proper suspension setup at a shop and have them measure it for you.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

6R Blackout

I am #190 and I ride at 6 thinking of going all out to 7 though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

Wooster

I'm 6'1" and in the 250-260 range and have mine set at 7 without any problems. Even with a Targa Fender Eliminator on, I've never hit my plate or anything. There is no need to adjust the suspension. Hell considering there are people who ride 2 up, this bike should be able to handle up to the 400lbs limit without problems

UselessPickles

Since this rear shock only has a preload adjustment, it is actually quite easy to do by yourself... with a friend or two. All there is to check is how much the suspension is compressed while you are sitting on the bike. There's no such thing as measuring "rebound" or "recoil" when setting up the preload on this rear shock.

Instructions for properly setting preload on both the front and rear: Ask the Geek: Set Your Static Sag - Sport Rider Magazine

It's compression and rebound damping that is trickier to setup, because it requires you to understand what it feels like when they are "wrong" to either side of "right", and "right" depends some on riding style, types of riding surfaces you ride on, and some personal preference.

Of course, by not having compression and rebound damping adjustments on these shocks, you can never actually get them properly adjusted to your weight. Just hope that your weight is near the median weight that Yamaha targeted when deciding on the factory compression and rebound tuning.

MustGoFaster

Just bumped mine up to 5. Seems a lot smoother. (I'm 180)

BKP

I'm about 185lbs. I bumped it up to 5, and use that setting now for riding alone (I like it better than the factory setting of 3), as well as riding 2-up (my S.O. is only about 110lbs., so it works fine).

I've also pumped up the tires a bit, commensurately. I keep them at 35/39 (F/R). Seems to be a happy medium...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member