Suspension Issues

Synistah

Hey guys,

So i own a 2010 FZ6R that i have slowly been converting to Street Fighter.

I am in the process of completing a successful front end conversion to the Adjustable Upside Down forks, brakes etc (Thanks to some machining and custom bits) as well as the Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock made for our bike.. However in the meantime i am looking for a solution to my issue as i am coming up to another track day.

Basically, Under cornering i feel the front doesn't have that 'planted sensation' and feels like it is bouncing around because the suspension is too soft.

I have a feeling my forks have been misaligned from an accident i had a while ago, and will be having them looked at on Tuesday and fixed if needed.

I am going to have a new set of tyres installed as my current ones are a bit worn, Just to be sure i get the best benefit out of this fix.

I have also been recommended to use heavier fork oil to keep the front end more stable, and i was wondering what your thoughts were.. or if anyone had any other cheap and/or easy remedies for my issue to hold me through.

If it makes any difference my rear shock is on setting 5 and i weight roughly 70kg (154lbs)

Cheers

Thanks

FastFreddy

I found 10 W fork oil good and drop the tree 4-5 mm worked well for me.

I found myself leaning forward alot to go into corners before and dragging the brakes to put more weight forward, it feels like slightly more weight on the front tyre now and the front seems like it can take the pothole hits without getting too bothered. (moves a bit less and a bit slower as expected)

Bert-Aus

If the front feels "bouncy" whilst cornering your front end maybe too stiff. That is if you have changed the front forks,
but then if you have upgraded the rear shock (with only stock front) that may be pushing forward too much on the front, kind of preloading the dampening.
Would be worth finding out if this Ohlins replacement is adjustable to greater dampening/ rebound or just a stock replacement.

If you upgrade suspension (ideally) you upgrade both ends to meet demands at each end.

Either that or try sliding your bum further back on the saddle (so your crotch is NOT on the tank anymore), this will help to lower your centre of gravity & shift some mass rearward

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Synistah

I haven't actually changed the front or rear suspension just yet, The front doesn't feel bouncy through corners it just feels overly soft and not confidence inspiring.

I think i'll try dropping forks 5m and putting 10W to see if that will help.

Chucker

I put 15W in mine with Race Tech springs and it is sweet. I'm heavier than you, so I needed a higher spring rate. I suggest 15W oil if you're going to the track.

WeatherB

I put 15W in mine with Race Tech springs and it is sweet. I'm heavier than you, so I needed a higher spring rate. I suggest 15W oil if you're going to the track.
Look into the Race Tech springs that are matched to your weight. You can also add their cartridge emulators for increased adjustability.

The stock springs are progressive and you go through the first little bit of travel really quick!