Supermoto

ajskillz13

Has anyone ever ridden a Supermoto or other dual purpose bike? Just checking into some of these as a second bike to just hop on for a quick commute into town.

Here are some examples I've looked at:

Yamaha WR250X
Ducati Hypermotard
KTM Duke
KTM SMC

Just wanting any thoughts about this style of bike. I know they're considerably lighter than ours, which would be nice. Will I notice enough of a difference to justify a second bike?

Chucker

My first bike was a Honda XL250S. I used to love cruising through the country and then pulling off on to a trail for some fun. If I had the time to trail ride now, I'd have picked up a real dual purpose. It is a lot of fun. Nothing like pulling back out on to the main road and cranking down it up with the mud flying in all directions.

Having said that, I don't know if I'd pick one up for a quick commute into town. You can do that on the FZ6R just as easily. Their purpose is dual, you'd only be using one of those purposes.

Ledgini

I used to ride a Yamaha MT03 which was really good fun, single cylinder, nippy round town, great handling etc etc but I have to say after riding my XJ6 it really doesn't compare, the XJ6 is a far far better bike, and a bike I would rather be on even if it was just to a quick visit to the local store. If you are planning on buying one for off roading I would say go for it but othewise just stick to the FZ6R. Go test ride some and see what you think. The choices above are all good bikes, and I would deffo add the MT03 in there too.

CDN6R

I would consider a Supermoto like the Yamaha 250 or the Suzuki 400 but with a 28 inch inseam,, I'd need a step ladder or my old platform boots from the 70's.:eek:

Chucker

I would consider a Supermoto like the Yamaha 250 or the Suzuki 400 but with a 28 inch inseam,, I'd need a step ladder or my old platform boots from the 70's.:eek:
The heel on them would get hung up on footpeg and you'd end up falling over. That'd be more embarrassing then wearing the boots.

CDN6R

:rof::rof::rof: OMG you are so right! And to think I used to have a pair and ware them with my blue checkered wide cuffed pants! (Can you say Bay City Rollers?)

ajskillz13

Ha! I'm in the same boat... I can nearly flat-foot the FZ6R. I realized after looking at some specs that the only one in that list for me would be the Ducati.

I agree with you guys. I wouldn't have much use for one at this point, but if I bumped up to a FJR or something like that for touring, I would probably get something lighter like this for short trips. (Or just keep the FZ6R!)

Last edited:

ajskillz13

I used to ride a Yamaha MT03 which was really good fun, single cylinder, nippy round town, great handling etc etc but I have to say after riding my XJ6 it really doesn't compare, the XJ6 is a far far better bike, and a bike I would rather be on even if it was just to a quick visit to the local store. If you are planning on buying one for off roading I would say go for it but othewise just stick to the FZ6R. Go test ride some and see what you think. The choices above are all good bikes, and I would deffo add the MT03 in there too.
Unfortunately we can't get those in the states. Awesome looking bike though! That would be exactly what I'd want for a lighter bike to kick around on. However, you're right, it wouldn't be much difference to the FZ6R.

NoDoze

Both my cousins who are on the short side (5'3" & 5'4") have the Suzuki DR-Z 400SM - they thrash those bikes. Even with the abuse, the bikes still run like champs. Very durable and dependable. They one-foot these bikes since the seat height is so high at 35" ?