Stressing

Deputyfarva252

Well I just was on the recieving end of my first work related injury. For those who dont or didnt know by the name I am a Deputy Sheriff assigned to a patrol unit. I had someone that deceided they did not want to go to jail and fought me instead of going easy. End result , guy still went to jail with 3 extra charges including assault on a goverment official , two counts of resisting. During the process of effecting the arrest I suffered a sprained wrist and a minor contustion. This just occured thursday and in the passed it has taken weeks for similar stuff to heal. I am supposed to go back to work monday unless It is not healed and knowing how these things work its not going to be. Now my concerns are this , I just came back from a knee injury 6 weeks ago that was not a work related and I have the chance for a promotion to supervisor in the very near future. Im afraid that if I dont just suck it up and deal with it , it could very well cost me a promotion. On the flip side of that I go back to work someone else decides to be an ass or worse and It gets injured worse , or ......well we wont talk about the other options.......I know this seems like a no brainer , but promotions at a small department dont come very often ........:facepalm: its just one thing after another.......sorry I just had to rant and get that off my chest.....

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

r0ar

First off, Sorry you have to deal with POS like this dude. Second, would you prefer a promotion for a few years and then maybe this injury gets SERIOUS or would you prefer to be an officer for many years and still might get that spot just let your sgt or lt or whoever you deal with hey man I'm all for coming back but here's my concern and see what they think.

BKP

This won't be a popular opinion...

That being said, life is anything but fair. It doesn't look at you, and say, "hey, the guy had a tough series of events, lets give him a break..."

You have an opportunity now. I'm not telling YOU what to do, just offering what *I* would do (because I've been in a similar place in my career -- different set of circumstances, similar choices). I'd suck it up, and roll the dice... mainly because if I didn't, and I blew the promotion, I'd have opportunity-lost-regret-syndrome for an obscenely long time...

Oh... and whatever you decide, good luck bro'...

Last edited:

Chucker

I've been an executive for 8 years, so believe me, I know what I'm talking about. Go speak to the Sheriff (I'm assuming that's the big cheese) and explain your situation. Tell him you're concerns and ask his advice. For some reason people (especially guys) don't want to talk to their bosses about these types of things, but it helps resolve issues. I've had these types of talks with my bosses and I've had my employees come to me to talk about things. It has always worked out and been a good decision to have that talk.

Wooster

I work in Corrections myself and have been down this road more times than I care to remember. My advice would be as you put it "suck it up" and get back out there so you can still be in the running for the promotion. For me I've always looked at it as I'm not going to let that POS get the better of me and cost me and my family something that I've worked hard for. If you do go back hurt, just try and avoid as much of the BS as possible and keep your guard up at all times.

Good luck brother

See red

Sorry you have to deal with the d-bags out there. Stop eating all the dam doughnuts! share them! lol
ok I am better now......

But you should go let your superior ( i.e. higher ranked) that you are sore, but it seems minor, you should be up to task in a few days. They won't punish you for doing your ob. Next time use more force.

Deputyfarva252

first thanks for everyones advice , yes I do eat donuts , (love them actually) but I stay fit , 6'1'' 210 50' Chest with 36 inch waist , I just benched 255 my new max just a few days prior to the injury. As far as the Dbags out here , theres alot of them but I know what I signed up for , I try to keep faith in people but it can be hard to do when you deal with the bottom 10% of the population most of the time. Just the other day I had a woman that I had given her daughter a break , come up give me a hug and tell me thank you , its moments like that , that makes my job worth it.

Ive weighed all my options and have deceided Im going to work tomorrow. Ill let my supervisor know that its still sore and let them make the decision to send me home VS me saying Im not coming in. I dont want to do anything to risk the possible promotion and unless I get a call Ill just kinda lay low for a few days and take it easy at work........ Once again thanks everyone

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Chucker

How'd you make out Deputy?

Deputyfarva252

Not too bad still kinda sore but other then that I was able to kinda lay low. Work was kinda slow except for me finding a guy growing some pot plants , Luckly for me and him he was cooperative for the most part. Im glad I went to work because we have another person quiting and I think the promotions will be coming down the pipeline in the next few weeks......