Strange Way to Paint

Idiosynocracy

I came across a car thread about a guy who restored his car using Rustoleum. Looks legit, and I may try it on a few things before I try it on my bike. Here's the link to it if you want to check it out. This guy used this method, took pictures of the car 3 years later and It looks like it's still holding up quite nicely. Would any of you try this method out for yourself? I hear plastidip fades in color... and this would be a little bit more permanent, no peeling if I mess it up. Just sand it off and start again...

Rickwrench, Alfa GTV, Falcon Squire, Corvair

bmw675

Alot of people on the triumph forum do this method on their track fairings.

Highlights
Pros: cheap, if done right it can look good, you can do it on your own without equipment (air/gun).

Cons: I've heard it can fade from the sun over time, it is just a single stage. Limited color options, does take time if you want to do it right. Will not give that high gloss look that we are used to on current paint jobs. Not as durable as current paint jobs.

That's my take on it. I elected to spray mine for the durability and color selection.

EsrTek

Seems like a good method to try... if you do not value your time or have tons of extra time.
For those w/o that luxury (me) I'd stick to a real paint job - faster and lasts longer then this method.

Riccochet

Interesting. Never see that before. For the time it took to do that I would have just bought a cheap HPLV gravity feed gun and sprayed it.

roundhouse

i have seen people do this before but not with such good results. I am not going to try it but I think it''s pretty cool

xleeb0y13x

It's definitely a cheap way to do it. Same with rattle can. I saw a really good rattle can job in Super Street magazine some time ago with a integra going from white to black. Good job but it was the prep that made it.

Sent using Jedi mind tricks!

bmw675

It's definitely a cheap way to do it. Same with rattle can. I saw a really good rattle can job in Super Street magazine some time ago with a integra going from white to black. Good job but it was the prep that made it.
There are some automotive paint places that will mix up paint for you in a spray can. Same paint as used in a gun, just out of a can. You just don't get as good of a flow as you can doing it the right way. But for a do-it-yourselfer, it would work.

But yes, prep work is where it's at. I spent more time prepping than I did painting.

mdgreene2001

I'm stick to paint and powder coat...

Idiosynocracy

Yeah that the thing that bothered me. It is a cheap method but I heard the paint will fade over time. They don't make purple but I can mix red/blue and add a tiny splotch of black to get the right deep purple I like. But I digress... I'd rather take my bike in for a decent shop like job. Or buy the equipment myself and do it like that with a higher quality paint. Just thought I'd post it. ANy information could be good information. At least this could be directed to someone who wanted to do track fairings like stated earlier, or direct someone away from this method. lol thanks everyone!

93cc

I did that to my 81 celica... I did a half *** job of preping and I think it came out pretty well considering

Idiosynocracy

I did that to my 81 celica... I did a half *** job of preping and I think it came out pretty well considering
lol how has the job held up?