Steering bearings?

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

vitrox

its simple to get to the steering bearings. Undo the top nut on the steering stem, remove top triple clamp, pull off both lock nuts, then the front end should drop out. This will give you access to both the upper and lower steering bearings.

owldaddy

oh ya, I forgot most Japanese bikes use ball bearings in the steering head. Oh well, hopefully when the races dimple on the 6r, tapered roller bearings will be available. That should be the last steering head bearings you will need to buy.

cbzdel

IMO if it aint broke dont fix it....

preventative maintenance is one thing, thats why I change the engine oil.. but with bearing I am sure you can tell when they start to go bad. possibly harder to turn the bars, or maybe noise or grinding..

alot of car manuals say to repack bearings as well but it typically is overlooked..

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

cbzdel

do you have any bearing shops close to your home?

there are a few I drive by every day on my way to work.. I am sure you could stop in to one and tell them what you have and what your looking for possibly they could do some checking into it for you.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CDN6R

I might consider calling,or visiting the dealer I purchased the bike from,or any Yamaha dealer and asking the question on taper roller bearings.,,,just a thought.

vitrox

sorry, yes, you need to remove nearly the whole front of the bike to replace the bearings, just loosen and drop the triple a few inches to pack the bearings with grease. You will have to suspend the front of the bike with a few ratchet straps from the ceiling.

you only have to remove the top triple clamp and stem nuts to remove the upper bearing.

nlpyle

Anyone recommend a good grease to repack the bearings? I will be replaving the fork springs this weekend so I thought I would repack the bearings just because my front end seems a little tough to turn at times.

owldaddy

Yamaha recommends Lithium soap-based grease. If your experiencing a tightness in the steering, pay particular attention to the bearing races. With ball bearings used in this application, the balls may dimple the races, due to the fact that balls don't move around much while in service, and they transfer shock through them to the races. Once the races are dimpled, it is time to replace them. If you have to replace the bearings, check to see if you can get a tapered roller bearing instead of the ball. They will last the life of the bike.

nlpyle

Just found a bearing shop locally. Am going to give them a call today. Would I just ask if they have a tapered bearing for a FZ6R or what would I ask for so they will understand what I am looking for? Thanks

owldaddy

If you take in the dimensions of the original bearing, they should be able to come up with something. Bearing houses can usually cross reference bearings. Since this is a stock bearing from a motorcycle, I'd just measure it with a vernier caliper and take them that info. You can also look online, I know there are bearing catalogs available.