Sprockets and chain

Fulkon

Just a thread to post about what you've done when you had to replace the sprockets and chain.
What brand? What size? What milage did you replace it? Other recommendations.
I have over 9500 miles on mine and should probably change mine out soon. So I've been looking around and reading specs, so lets hear em.

CrazyCawi

vortex front and rear sprockets. Driven only makes a front sprocket no rears anymore for our bike. I bought an EK chain to replace it with.

Hellgate

With only 9,500 in it yours should be fine if you've kept it clean and lubed. There's a guy on the FZ1 forum who got 42k out of his OEM set. I've got 27k on my FZ1 OEM set and it is well within spec.

Go to Cycle Gear or your dealer and buy a chain guage, that way you'll know for sure it worn out and not take off a perfectly good chainset.

If you want long lasting OEM is the best, and least expensive solution.

If you want lighter and long lasting Superprox are very nice; they have an aluminium carrier with a steel gear. I use these on my track bike and I've very happy with them.

For light AFAM or Regina make aluminum sprockets that a super light but wear pretty fast compared to steel ones. These are great for race bikes. I've used both and liked them.

If you do replace them 520 is the size to get. You'll save several pounds.

flyingminno

Just got all the parts to replace mine today. I've got driven front and rear leaning towards better highway rpms, and an EK chain as well. I've got a little over 17,000 miles of canyons and long highway rides on it, the chain in now showing wear. At 9,500 your chain should be perfect as long as it is maintained properly.

About the Driven sprockets, I went the 17 tooth front option but was forced to go 47 for the rear. I would just keep the stock on there, but I got it as a kit and I have a feeling the stock sprocket may be worn.

Last edited:

Fulkon

Thanks everyone, I was thinking of doing the Driven front and rear sprockets with the 520 EK chain on solomotoparts.com. I've been keeping up with inspecting it and so far I only see very minimal wear, so should be good for awhile longer. I haven't decided what sizes I want yet.

CrazyCawi

driven no longer makes the rear sprocket for our bikes. If you want a matching light weight aluminum sprocket set you will need to go with JT Sprockets, Vortex Sprockets, or MotoSprockets

Driven only makes the front sprocket for our bikes.

Just bought the 520 EK chain...looks amazing. Motomummy has them on sale for $122 SUPPPPERRRR CHEAP...I ordered it thursday and got it saturday morning, amazing company IMO!

2wheelie

I'm also thinking of replacing the chain. I understand that it should be 520, but, which one do I need... like o-ring x-ring, standatd?? What's a difference there? They also run from 82 to 120 links :confused: how many links do I need? So fas it's a stock one.

redprodigy35

vortex front and rear sprockets. Driven only makes a front sprocket no rears anymore for our bike. I bought an EK chain to replace it with.
How are these working out for you CC? I was looking into the Vortex sprocket, but thought that it was made out of steel, but comparable weight to aluminum?
Any different feel? Recommended?

Also, I thought DID chains were the beez kneez. I'll have to look into EK.

nlpyle

Looks like this thread died to early. Looking to replace my chain. I have almost 18k on it and need advice on brand, size, and I heard that a Steel rear sprocket is better. All the info on this matter is greatly welcomed. Thanks,
Nate

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Michael Wilson

I'm runninga -1 front driven sprocket that is lightened with an aluminum +2 driven sproclet. My chain is an EK 120 link colored chain (blue). I changed mine at 7k mile because I wanted different gearing. I still have oem set as a back up

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

linkgt

I'm also thinking of replacing the chain. I understand that it should be 520, but, which one do I need... like o-ring x-ring, standatd?? What's a difference there? They also run from 82 to 120 links :confused: how many links do I need? So fas it's a stock one.
What he said! I think i need a new chain, It was loose last month, I tightened and its loose AGAIN.. i think the chain is stretched :/.

I'm looking for something that isnt too expensive.. sub 100 bucks. would this be good?

EK 520 SRX Chain - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

link info, etc would appreciated. thanks

Last edited: