Spray Paint R6 Headers

rjsantana20

I have been searching for r6 headers and noticed that they look pretty beat up (obviously).

I was thinking of getting high heat (2000 degrees) spray paint and give the headers a cleaning and painting before installing.

Has anyone done this before? I checked around for old thread and couldnt find anything. Any thoughts?

cavcuz05

you could get them ceramic coated at at local powdercoater

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to get away with it. The paint could withstand the heat, but I'm not sure how long it would last when faced with road debris.

I too would look into powdercoating.

owldaddy

I haven't seen a paint that lasts very long, looks good for a short time. If the headers are steel, rust will start under the paint. I had the SS headers on my other bike ceramic coated. They look pretty good still, 4 years later. It does cost more then paint, but it will last a lot longer. To get an idea what can be done, check out Jet Hot's web page. JETHOT The Hottest Header Coatings! Jet-Hot, jet coat, hot jet, headers, coatings, sterling, Header coating, Ceramic coating, corrosion protection, friction reduction, thermal barrier, Metallic Ceramic Coatings, MCCI, metallic ceramic, exhaust coatin

rjsantana20

good lord! Maybe I will just leave them the way they are.

owldaddy

Ya it is not cheap, but the coating will last. I paid $160 to have 2 pipes done for my twin. They actually claim a HP increase, I can't attest to that, the bike seems to run the same. The coating looks a lot better then it did stock. I only did mine because the headers were turning a crappy brown color, about the same color as baby sh*t, now they are silver. Much better. Jet Hot does have competition, you may want to shop around.

rjsantana20

Wow! What kind of bike is that? That looks like one bad ass bike.

porky45

it's like a 12/55 sprocket setup lol

Detrich

what about car brake caliper paint? i've heard that that can withstand lots of heat...