Sport Touring suggestions for 2-up riding

BackBone

Ok, here's the situation. My wife hasn't rode her ninja 250 all year yet and I've been looking around to possibly sell both my 6r and her bike and just get something a little bigger that will be somewhat comfortable for her to ride 2-up with me for short weekend getaways. I've seen FJR1300's but they are a little too big and pricey for what I'm looking for. Is there something between the FZ6R and the FJR1300 in size, say maybe 750cc-900cc? I have looked online, but it seems all I can find is the 1300 size. I'm trying to keep the look of my current bike (FZ6R), since I love the ride, look, and everything about it. We need something to can hold both of our weights, 430-450 lbs, (not knowing true wife's weight, so making sure that it will still be safe to ride). I've seen in manual that my bike can handle 390lbs or so, but fear it will not be enough. Any suggestions? I want to stay with Yamaha if at all possible, but may stray to another brand if it will work out. I'm not really into the cruiser style look either. Thanks guys for any help you could offer my way!

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

sammy56

Ok, here's the situation. My wife hasn't rode her ninja 250 all year yet and I've been looking around to possibly sell both my 6r and her bike and just get something a little bigger that will be somewhat comfortable for her to ride 2-up with me for short weekend getaways. I've seen FJR1300's but they are a little too big and pricey for what I'm looking for. Is there something between the FZ6R and the FJR1300 in size, say maybe 750cc-900cc? I have looked online, but it seems all I can find is the 1300 size. I'm trying to keep the look of my current bike (FZ6R), since I love the ride, look, and everything about it. We need something to can hold both of our weights, 430-450 lbs, (not knowing true wife's weight, so making sure that it will still be safe to ride). I've seen in manual that my bike can handle 390lbs or so, but fear it will not be enough. Any suggestions? I want to stay with Yamaha if at all possible, but may stray to another brand if it will work out. I'm not really into the cruiser style look either. Thanks guys for any help you could offer my way!
I would suggest the FJR.
Are you opposed to cruisers? Certainly a diiferent ride, but comfy.
I am considering a Road Star or dare I say....an HD Switchback or Road King.
Just my 2¢.

LB

wtnotch

At the risk of sounding un-Yamaha and being booted from the club :) ... The Kawasaki Ninja 1000 with hard bags would pretty much meet your requirements. Not quite 1300cc and about 100lbs less than a FJR.

Another option would be the Triumph Sprint GT.

I looked at all 3 (FJR, Ninja and Triumph) for a while when I thought I might be commuting 200 miles a day a couple days a week.

Russ

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BackBone

Thanks everyone for the quick response. I'll check into those suggestions and try to locate a few bikes locally to try them out. I knew I could count on you guys.

See red

Tiger 1050 was my choice, the triple is unreal, comes with luggage, 50 mpg, 2 up AAAaaaaalllllllllll.............. day! I can also say the passenger seat is better than the fz1, sorry, but so true.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

CtrlAltDl

And if you don't care for the "adventure" aspect of the bike, a Sprint GT has the same engine with more of a sport touring setup.

Surprised nobody mentioned a VFR800. Obviously not available new, but I see plenty of them around just a few years old.
Those are two great tourers, except you lean forward a bit too much on the VFR.

I converted from the clamp-on's to a dirt bike handlebar, but other wise the VFR is a great sporty touring machine, even the stock seat is pretty damn comfy.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

FZ1, all the way. Get bags and a trunk and then you can remove them when you don't need them and you've got a pretty kick ass sport bike.

vkamnev

bmw f800gs, good tourer and can also go away from highways. but anyway, why do you want to leave your wife without a bike? isn't it better to ride together? may be buying her something bigger than ninja 250 instead of having only one bike?

Jay S.

Not to blaspheme on a Yamaha forum, but the VFR800 is a great sport-touring bike, in my opinion. Go read some of the reviews at Sport-touring.net. Good stuff. Great for one or two-up and will run forever if you take care of it.

Jay S.

And if you don't care for the "adventure" aspect of the bike, a Sprint GT has the same engine with more of a sport touring setup.

Surprised nobody mentioned a VFR800. Obviously not available new, but I see plenty of them around just a few years old.
Yeah, I gotta read more before I post.

:eek:

I too was planning on buying the VFR but they quit making them and I really wanted a new bike...then came the 6R. I've not regretted it once, but I only ride solo.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member