Some Me Questions after a search on choosing a Yamaha

SOS4364

First off Hello.

So I have been riding a 1998 Smoking Joe CBR600 for the past 3 years that was a family bike. I recently relocated to another state and I am now in search of a new/used ride for myself. I am 25 and about 6ft 185lbs.

I am currently debating on both these bikes as my dealer has both. After I was able to sit on a few different mfg's and loooked in to them over the past month these are the two that stood out for me. I am concerned after riding the Smoking Joe that the FZ6R may leave me wanting more. I am not that familiar with bikes and am just getting "into" the scene so to speak. I started on a 250 then worked my way to the Smoking Joe, so have about 7yrs experience.

My bike will be primarily transportation to work and back as I just relocated and no longer have the cbr at my disposal. It's about 3 miles streets and 40 miles highway. Avg speed about 70mph give or take I would assume. I really dont want a naked bike due to the highway miles. Everything I read and find says the FZ6R is geared more towards beginners, but personally I liked the way it felt just sitting on it. The sales guy tells me its been their most popular bike. He also said he's had more than a few guys trading in R6's that just ride street. He's a salesman though, and I am looking at new left over FZ6R in Team Blue vs a slightly used R6S in Team Blue. The dealership I am sure would love to move a new bike vs a used one. The upright position was kind of comfy. One of the reasons I want an R6S intead of the newer R6 chassi/frame is due to the position as well. I am going to be honest. I am looking at getting into a sport bike riding group here to ride with some riders. While I have yet to experience that and know I am going to be a newb much like I am here on the site. Showing up with less than legit gear is never the best idea. I plan on keeping the bike for a while and progressing more and more, but not really interested in the race aspect as I don't have the time or the funds. Just want to progress as a rider as its fun for me and challenging at the same time. I am just looking for some input from you guys who ride the FZ6R consistantly and others that may have some R6S experience on which way to lean. I was able to sit on an R6S with my buddy holding it . From what I can find I am just really worried about missing the zippiness of theat Smoking Joe going to the FZ6R due to the midrange build of the FZ6R and the amount of HP it took from the engine to get there. As a far as seat comfort I think I would appreciate the more leaned posistion on the R6S on the highway at speeds. If I were a regular city rider, with stop and go traffic most of the time I would def be going FZ6R due to all the above mentioned reasons of low end, midrange torque, and an upright comfy position. However being almost 90% of the riding is on the highway was wondering if that will still benefit me as much seeing as shifting and banging through the gears will be negligeable.

The one thing I really really didn't like at first glance was the handlebars on the FZ6R. They almost look like the belong on a bicycle. I went through the mod section and there really wasn't much info except for one clip on mod which I reallly dont want to be taking chunks of my cowling/fairing out to do. Any other ptions out there beside the FZ1 bars?

Been reading the site for the past month or so trying to aide in my decision and it has been great. I dont have the opportunity to test drive due to the weather here. While I know waiting til spring is best to test ride, the deals and the 2 bikes I am considering are priced right for me and I have the cash in hand now. Who knows what the future may hold.

Last edited:

BoneJj

I don't own either of the bikes and I've been locked in the decision of getting the fz6r and a few others as you can find in this thread here:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f19/hello-im-pondering-fz6r-24100/

I however have much different reasons as to why to get the bike than you but maybe some of the info in that thread will help you to make your decision as well.

I'm personally going for comfortable riding all around, The main thing that is mentioned several times in the thread I started is that the front windshield will need to be swapped out for interstate use. As for the bars... I don't see why they would be an issue, if anything it gives you plenty of room to mount a cellphone/GPS mount to the bars, I use my cell as a GPS mostly.

It's mainly going to boil down to, do you want a more comfortable ride that can still get you up to speed on the interstate or do you want something that's gong to suck in traffic as you are leaned over all the time but feels maybe a little better on the interstate?

It's not an easy choice at all....

And for the salesman guy.... If the bike is such a good seller, then why does he still have left over stock???? lol.

EDIT:

in relation to what you were just saying about fitting different bars, seems like this guy found some good stuff:
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/clip-ons-under-triple-why-yes-way-21211/

but then if you want to go that low you should just get one lower from the start....

Also keep in mind that the bars on the FZ6R were probably chosen for the expressed purpose of keeping the cost of the bike down.

Last edited:

Fizzer6R

welcome!... that's a tough decision. on one hand since you've got experience with a CBR F3 then the logical choice would be the R6S. however you need to be sure it's gonna be comfy enough for you since it "will be primarily transportation to work and back". given that I'd opt for the FZ6R.

since you have cash in hand now for something, do you have a car also? if not, is getting a beater car for a couple grand not possible, then test ride some bikes later once it gets warmer there. understood prices will go up then also; I'm just not into buying something I can't test out first.

good luck and let us know how it goes

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

Chucker

I honestly think that, if you're used to the CBR600, you're going to be disappointed in the power of the FZ6R. Unless, of course, you weren't winding out the CBR. If you were using all that power, you'll miss it. If you weren't, I think you'll find the FZ6R more comfortable and it's got all the power you "need".

Spunky99

Welcome to the forum.

I found the FZ6R seat to be "painful" for any long rides.
Even a 45 minute ride was painful.
I never respected the power and found myself WOT a lot.
You spoke about the handlebars and changing them. The Renthals won't do the trick (tried it) and neither will clip-ons as the fairing will block you from achieving the CBR feel.

The R6 is very popular but lacks midrange for street driving. More like the CBR in performance and seat position.

If you are already used to a real sportbike, changing to a sport/touring bike may not be the answer.

SAFE-T

The R6S and the FZ6R has the same basic motor from 2003, but they were tuned a little bit differently. The FZ6R has better midrange, at the expense of some top end power. Overall I think you'll find the engine performance of the two bikes fairly similar to what you are used to on your older CBR600, although both of them probably make a few more ponies. If you're not spinning the motor to 10,000rpm all the time I would give the FZ6R a slight edge.

The newer YZF-R6 had a completely redesigned motor with a 14,000 rpm redline.

As you've noticed, the R6S riding position and bars are close to what you are used to.

If I were you I would look for a 2005 YZF-R6, which had the same engine and riding position as the later R6S model you are looking at, but with better suspension.

Last edited:

SOS4364

Yea, found the 05 had the inverted forks. It was kind of like they suped up the older style and then just decided to overhaul the bike instead and keep the old model as a pricepoint more "street" friendly bike in the R6S

Chevyfazer

If your torn between the two then why not compromise and get the bike between them the original fz6, yes it's not fully faired like the r's but it is a lot closer performance wise with 98hp, plus if your dead set on fully faired they do offer after market fairing kits for the fz6.

Detrich

An FZ is prolly going to weigh more (40+ lbs) than the YZF... If you are a medium weight (150 lbs range) then that makes a noticeable difference in the handling. But, if you are on the heavier side (200 lb range) it's prolly less noticeable. But, if you are in the 200+ lb range then u really ought to be looking at a liter bike, regardless...

Bloke

I'm near enough 300lbs, the xj6s is just perfectly capable of caning it along with anyone.

Just because your fat, doesn't mean you require a litre bike.

My 600 does just fine off the lights (yet to see a car beat me) and up to an indicated 120mph, sure I may have to drop 2 and make use of the higher rev range when riding spirited but it's just fine and dandy.

That said the cheapest way of improving a bikes performance is losing weight. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

RoadTrip

I did an image search on the Smoking Joe, and the bars looked a lot higher than today's SS's - went to Cycle-Ergo, yep, shows the R6S at 37 degrees and the F3 at 28 degrees. So, the F3 had a much less aggressive reach to the bars. 37 degrees is also the calculated (for 6ft person) lean angle as my new L1 gixsix, and that is no cake walk, takes time to get used to. The F3 also had 105hp and weighed 454lbs (wet) , R6S is 123hp and 410lbs (wet), and FZ6R has 78hp and weighs 467lbs (wet).

Motorcycle Ergonomics

I think the R6S may be less forward lean than the new R6, but it's similar to the other Jap SS's. So, I wouldn't let yourself believe the R6S is a relaxed situation, but you would definitely adapt over time. The FZ6R, however is decidely upright (lean angle 13 degrees).

Power - the FZ6R has plenty, just a matter of selecting a lower gear if you want more, and it's very linear, so it's all right there, SS's extra power is up top, so under 10K a SS is kinda similar.

Bars - this is the main reason I moved from the FZ6R to the gixxer, I wanted to tuck and attack corners more, but the trade off is a fairly committed position and potential sore back, you squirm to find relief, but it's managable.

Insurance - 2.5x for a SS for full coverage (e.g. $300 FZ6R, $800 GSXR)

Mileage - about the same

Tires - I am running hypersports vs ST's on the FZ6R, so the wear at double the rate, of course you can run ST's on a SS if you want

Riding groups - I could hang with the local riding dudes round here on the FZ6R after just 6 weeks in the saddle, I was scared shitless (noob), but it runs to 100mph quickly and handles fine, I mean I don't ride a whole lot faster on the GSXR now, I just wanted the more aggressive ergos and lighter weight.

Finally, a SS is much more challenging to ride smoothly than the FZ6R, but it's rewarding when you get it right. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

BoneJj

I'm near enough 300lbs, the xj6s is just perfectly capable of caning it along with anyone.

Just because your fat, doesn't mean you require a litre bike.

My 600 does just fine off the lights (yet to see a car beat me) and up to an indicated 120mph, sure I may have to drop 2 and make use of the higher rev range when riding spirited but it's just fine and dandy.

That said the cheapest way of improving a bikes performance is losing weight. :)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
I read the prior post earlier and wanted to say something but figured I would not do it right away... lol. you said it well. Just because some people are toothpicks... and make me sick when the eat 3/4 of a damn large pizza and still don't put an any weight.... I'm just saying, F you, you scrawny bastard guy... Yeah, my friend is older than me and eats like a pig but is literally half my size, that caps my rear. Anyway, I'm on the way of losing and it's working, just taking time to get there.

ok, mini rant out of the way. 600cc is a good bit of motor, hell the older kawasaki vulcan 500s can carry my 275 butt around without issue. That's not bad. People looking at 600cc aren't looking for a rocket, just something that's going to give decent thrill and still be workable. a liter bike is just excessive in most cases, why do they sell??? because the owner can say 1000cc aka One Thousand cc... It's a bragging rights thing, I know it, you know it, but will you admit it????

Unless you have money to blow on track days it's kind of hard to actually use a 1kcc bike to any of it's potential.

I'll just leave it at that for now.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

BoneJj

I'm not a scrawny bastard, "I'm wiry"! :cool: I can also drink 5 beers with that 3/4 of a large pizza and still not gain a pound. :D
I hope your in your 20s... wait until you hit 30ish.. that's when the shit hits the fan... for rme though it was after I couldn't exercise anymore after my leg got jacked and I couldn't walk for almost a year. That sucked....

Enjoy it while you can..... it wont be long now and if it is.... damn you, lol....

hahahahahaha

Fizzer6R

I did an image search on the Smoking Joe, and the bars looked a lot higher than today's SS's - went to Cycle-Ergo, yep, shows the R6S at 37 degrees and the F3 at 28 degrees. So, the F3 had a much less aggressive reach to the bars. 37 degrees is also the calculated (for 6ft person) lean angle as my new L1 gixsix, and that is no cake walk, takes time to get used to. The F3 also had 105hp and weighed 454lbs (wet) , R6S is 123hp and 410lbs (wet), and FZ6R has 78hp and weighs 467lbs (wet).

Motorcycle Ergonomics

I think the R6S may be less forward lean than the new R6, but it's similar to the other Jap SS's. So, I wouldn't let yourself believe the R6S is a relaxed situation, but you would definitely adapt over time. The FZ6R, however is decidely upright (lean angle 13 degrees).

Power - the FZ6R has plenty, just a matter of selecting a lower gear if you want more, and it's very linear, so it's all right there, SS's extra power is up top, so under 10K a SS is kinda similar.

Bars - this is the main reason I moved from the FZ6R to the gixxer, I wanted to tuck and attack corners more, but the trade off is a fairly committed position and potential sore back, you squirm to find relief, but it's managable.

Insurance - 2.5x for a SS for full coverage (e.g. $300 FZ6R, $800 GSXR)

Mileage - about the same

Tires - I am running hypersports vs ST's on the FZ6R, so the wear at double the rate, of course you can run ST's on a SS if you want

Riding groups - I could hang with the local riding dudes round here on the FZ6R after just 6 weeks in the saddle, I was scared shitless (noob), but it runs to 100mph quickly and handles fine, I mean I don't ride a whole lot faster on the GSXR now, I just wanted the more aggressive ergos and lighter weight.

Finally, a SS is much more challenging to ride smoothly than the FZ6R, but it's rewarding when you get it right. Hope this helps.
great comparisons :cool:

yeah, at least the older series CBR6's F2, F3, F4 have always had less aggressive ergos

SOS4364 - didn't occur to me until just now - have you thought about trying to find a nice used CBR F4i = since those really are about halfway between a R6 & FZ6R