Solder Drip on Tank! :(

Neme

So today I wired/soldered up my "dummy switch" for my LEDs. Everything went well and got it back together and working in no time.

Once I out the switch assembly on I looked down and realized I forgot to put a towel over the tank. Then, I spot little spots on solder drops on my tank. I am still mad at myself. The solder looks look it bubbled the paint around it :( anyone know and tips/tricks to get these freckles off? Some of them are pretty nice size dots.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Neme

Darn-it. What's a general idea of what a shop would charge?

Maybe if I just let it be then I'll get over it.. its not a show bike its a rider. I guess its going to get imperfections here and there over time. It can't stay perfect for ever!

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Neme

Oh yeah that's a good idea. I have to get one eventually anyways. Thanks!

Neme

Might be a good reason to try plasti-dip ;)
Ehh, maybe. I would have to get it professionally done. I did accents with plasti-dip on my sisters car with the spray cans and wasn't too impressed. I even took my time and didn't everything right. I like the metallic flake in the paint I don't want to hide it!

mtheartist

When I bought my 6r the paint on the tank had some damage but the guy I bought it from said that vinyl cutouts might be an option. One of my clients at work owns a repair shop and he quoted me $200 but it just depends on the shop. Also you may want to try decals/stickers of some sort to get over the pain temporarily. If you go to a shop, make sure you take the bike apart yourself and just bring them your tank. Maybe even prep it yourself. Otherwise they'll try to charge you additional labor hours for taking the bike apart when you could have done that yourself and saved some $. Anyway good luck!

Neme

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I ever bring it somewhere. Stickers are probably the fix for now.

mdgreene2001

$200 is pretty standard since the clear is not a standard clear on the tank it's a gel clear because its more resistant to gas. Regular clear will get damaged by the gas. I'm going to wrap my tank this winter with some quality wrap that is resistant to petroleum products and uv.

Neme

I'm down to do a wrap too, I havent looked into it so I don't know if I will like any designs that are out there.

Reaver

Just roll with it man, Paint the spots brown and pretend you ride a cheetah.

Other than that, I got nothing bro. Sorry that happened. Promise it won't happen again though. Nor to I in the first place thanks to your post. =)

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Neme

Here's the Motocentric Weekender Gps bag

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk HD
That bag wouldn't cover them. They're right in front of the Yamaha emblem on the angle on the tank. I'm starting to get over it already so Ill just slap a sticker on it or something. I can't afford to get ny tank re done, oh the benefits of being a college kid.

Bert-Aus

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I ever bring it somewhere. Stickers are probably the fix for now.
Stickers may cause rust or corrosion to occur sooner as the material is generally porous which will hold some moisture against the metal.

Try a nail polish (in similar colour to your paint) for temp fix, the acrylic in nail polish is similar to those used in auto paints just thicker, just not as hard.

In saying that some crash repairers here in Australia can mix up touch up pots (almost identical to a nail polish jar).
Ring around your locals to speak to them, not sure how much it would cost for them to eye-ball (colour matching gauge) the paint and mix up for such a small amount, but worth investigating if you are not in the position of gettin fully repainted anytime soon...

Neme

Stickers may cause rust or corrosion to occur sooner as the material is generally porous which will hold some moisture against the metal.

Try a nail polish (in similar colour to your paint) for temp fix, the acrylic in nail polish is similar to those used in auto paints just thicker, just not as hard.

In saying that some crash repairers here in Australia can mix up touch up pots (almost identical to a nail polish jar).
Ring around your locals to speak to them, not sure how much it would cost for them to eye-ball (colour matching gauge) the paint and mix up for such a small amount, but worth investigating if you are not in the position of gettin fully repainted anytime soon...
I didn't know stickers can do that, but now I do. Thanks! I'll deffinately try the nail polish trick. It's black so it shouldn't be tooooo hard to match.