So I sold my CBR1000RR...

arse

As some of you may recall, I sold my 2011 fz6r at the beginning of my third riding season (this year, in March) to pursue one of my "dream bikes"

I make a humble living, and was intent on not upgrading my insurance premiums, so to speak. I have spent a lot of my working life commuting via interstate. I loved every last mile of the 11k I put on the r, but was feeling ready for more freeway power. Being 26, and having put some miles under my belt ( roughly 35k ) I bought my dream rocket, low miles and garage neglected, for 1k less than the r sold for.

I put a few hundred in on tires and fluids and pads right away, but pretty much rode it as is. It was a dream to ride, seemed docile on the ride home from the sellers house. I just did't have the guts to get into it yet.

Riding this bike on the freeway was a blast. No other way to describe it. putting along at 75, the bike was sitting around 4.5k rpm...it was surreal after owning a few 600 bikes. It dove into corners like nothing else I have ridden, even took a little getting used to.

I ended up taking a job 5 mins from home, It's something I have been missing out on for a long time. riding this bike around the city, and even out in the country with anything more than minimal traffic or less than ideal conditions, just felt like I was lugging the poor thing around. I knew my skills as a rider would never match that of the bike. My 'for fun' runs became a dance between keeping the bike somewhat happy, and stopping and waiting for my friends to catch up. I realized the bikes power was not something I could safely ever use on the road - well should be using on the road.

I started to realize it wasn't for me. No biggie. On to the next one ;)

Since the Cbr was my first honda mc, I became a bit intrigued by the fit and finish. I have always loved honda automobiles, so the mc love was rather fitting. I didn't grow up in a mc family, but i always found out the names of bikes that caught my eye as a kid.

So after hunting, looking at SV's, cbr600s, r6's....i decided to go with something that would maybe hit a soft spot for me, and remind me of my first bike i ever put serious miles on.

I went with a mint 2002 CB900f. More commonly known as the 919, and Hornet, especially to our friends across the pond. Had 6k miles when I picked it up, and was always stored properly - owned by a mechanic. Bone stock.

After putting 1k on the bike, I could not be happier - especially for what I paid - left lots of mod money over :D

day i bought it

Renthals, crg bar end mirrors, and dunlop q2's

Annodized Black Pegs, Integrated Tail, Yoshi

Really love the bike and all the capability it has. And I LOVE the midrange torque, god bless it.

Few more goodies in the mail, and only the coolant is left to be flushed to complete total maintenance.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Yeah, sounds like you did the right thing, unless your primary riding is way out in the country where you can open it up, then you are probably just lugging as you said. I mean some peeps use the big bikes for city stuff, and punch it now and again, but they are taking big chances with the police. I seen this one guy on a Repesol racing thru AM traffic on my morning commute a couple of times, I just keep thinking someone is gonna call on him, poor guy he just trying to let the bike breathe.

Anyway, congrats on your new bike, in the end its all bikes, just pick the one that does the job the best.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

SpawnXX

Premium Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Nice! 919 has been the bike i've always wanted. Before I ever started riding, that was the bike I lusted over. Never the right time or place to end up with one though. One day.

EsrTek

I have a soft spot for the CB line, even though I don't like many other naked/classic looking bikes. Most likely cause at 18 a CB750 was my first bike purchased and was very easy to ride. I will own one of these, one day.

Brock Kickass

I have always loved the look of the 919. It's the bike that made me fall in love with nakeds. It's an excellent bike and is sure to be a timeless classic. Certainly a lot more practical than a 1000RR for day to day use, and still an exciting and great looking bike. Congrats!

xleeb0y13x

I have a soft spot for the CB line, even though I don't like many other naked/classic looking bikes. Most likely cause at 18 a CB750 was my first bike purchased and was very easy to ride. I will own one of these, one day.
What about the 2013 cb1100. Modern bike with a classic look. I'd take one in a minute.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372884820.091690.jpg

Sent using Jedi mind tricks!

arse

All three bikes were/are very nice! My only concern with the "Hornet" would be if you were to ever ride 2-up. It looks like they could give themselves a pretty nasty burn if they weren't being careful getting off/on the bike.
I was a bit concerned as well but the yoshis are actually a composite that doesn't get too hot. The seams and hardware seem to get hotter than the actual cans. Tested and approved by the old lady. She would never ride without thick jeans/riding pants regardless. She is definitely enjoying the pillion seat and has commented it's the most comfortable bike I've owned since we started dating :)

Last edited:

arse

arse

I spy a GS500E in the background.... my first bike, got a soft spot for them ;)

Thanks for your input. The CBR1000rr is also a dream bike of mine I would love to own one day, but I've heard the same type of info from you and a few other people. I'm sure one day I'll be on an FZ8, FZ1, or CB900, something upright. Looks great, btw!
Yep that's my roomates newly acquired 750$ bike lol. The bike I referenced as reminding me a little of the hornet was my 96 gs500e. Such a great "intro to motorcycling" bike. Although I have a feeling if I would have started on something like the fz6r, I wouldn't have bought and sold so many bikes by now !