Slipper clutches on the FZ6R?

Rich007

I rode a bike the other day with a slipper clutch anyone know if they make one for the FZ6R and were I can get one or would it be the same for the R6?

Alex6

I rode a bike the other day with a slipper clutch anyone know if they make one for the FZ6R and were I can get one or would it be the same for the R6?
LOL. The FZ6R is low cost entry-level sport(ish) bike. Next time you might ask for a race-level suspension parts.

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Cerebus

I don't think he's asking why they don't put one on the FZ6R. I believe he's asking if someone makes an aftermarket slipper, or if the R6 clutch can be made to work.

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

Alex6

I don't think he's asking why they don't put one on the FZ6R. I believe he's asking if someone makes an aftermarket slipper, or if the R6 clutch can be made to work.
With enough money, know-how and mechanical skills one can turn FZ6R into R1. But why not buy what one really wants/needs in the 1st place that already has all bells and whistles?

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Rich007

Rich,
The advantage to a slipper clutch as i'm sure you know is mainly so that when downshifting from higher speeds you don't lock up/chirp the rear wheel which is why many SS's have them. A slipper clutch is an ordinary clutch with a spring loaded cam attached. When you abruptly close the throttle, the sudden engine braking can cause the rear wheel to skid, just like stomping on the rear brake. The overriding clutch allows the driven side to rotate faster than the driving side for just a bit and prevents rear wheel lock up. When shifting up, there's no difference between an ordinary clutch and a slipper. When downshifting at lower engine rpms, there's also no difference and you'd never know it was there. Only when you chop the throttle at high rpms does it make itself known.

To answer your question it is probably possible but I did once own an FZ6R & would suggest that it is more trouble than it's worth to attempt to put a slipper on the 6R. The bike simply wasn't designed to have one. When I owned my FZ6R only a few times did I chirp the rear wheel wheel while downshifting from a higher speed & I owned the bike for 2 years and rode it often at spirited speeds. The chirping I experienced was very manageable. Dropping fast from say 120/130(fz6R) is different than dropping from say 160/170 on a SS. The slipper just isn't needed on the 6r IMO...

Now, When talking about clutches, If I was able to wave a magic wand, I would have liked to have had a hydraulic clutch on the 6r vs the cable actuated clutch that is installed as stock.

So yes you can do it if custom, but I don't think it's worth it. Also, there is no aftermarket slippers for the 6R specifically...Blah...

(side note to everyone)
Now I know it's pouring down rain(it is here anyways), but let's leave the name calling out of this thread... There is no such thing as a dumb question or answer on this forum. Unless of course, you ask if your bike is faster than mine :cool:
I know what a slipper clutch does and that is why I want one so that when I do beat the crap out of it I don't get the immediate tire lock up. I have had it happen a few times and just thought it might be a better option vs what I have.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Rich007

I'd recommend working on smoother downshifts rather than worrying about an expensive aftermarket part. Unless you're racing on a track, there's no reason you should need one. If you're constantly locking up the rear tire on your downshifts, that's a problem in your technique, not the bike. Not trying to be a dick, just being honest. Try practicing rev matching on your downshifts. Once you get that down, you'll be fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Rev matching makes perfect sense, I'll practice that next time I am riding.
Beats throwing a bunch of money into a bike I will own for a year and gives me one more thing to think about while riding.

Hellgate

Check and see if Yoyodyne makes one for an older R6. It might fit maybe. As look into SBS clutches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member