dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

abyss1406

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

djf18374

Shifter on the left foot might make it difficult to put the gear linkage/sprocket and chain on the right side.... :confused: Good question though

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

formthelines

My boss has an old Ducati Mark3. Shifter is on the right... freaking confusing! LOL
you know, I've been riding for a little under 2 years now. this morning i hopped on the bike to go to work and kept asking myself "why am i at 30mph and at 7k rpm?" then i tried to downshift and i kept braking. i was extremely confused. turns out the brake is the right pedal, no wonder i wasn't shifting... must be the new boots, or the fact that it was 0530...

but relating to the question: no idea, i really would like to know though.

abyss1406

my guess is its all in the design of the bike.

latony007

I don't know but the first thing I taught my kid is always mount any bike from the left side period. So you don't have to worry about the exhaust.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

yep, a quick search shows there have been bikes with the exhaust on left and chain on right...

guess it just became commonplace to do it the other way. :confused:
probably sold in England and other countries that were English colonies. England drives on the opposite side of the road because dating back to the horse most people were right handed so if you were cruising down the road on your horse and needed to draw your sword if you were on the right side of the street your sword would be on the curb side. So you will see motorcycles with the gas on the opposite sides in those countries. I think.