Should I replace my chain,sprockets on new used bike?

floki

It is a 2009 with 5000 miles. The chain was very rusty when I bought it but I cleaned it up a little. The slack was over 3 inches as well so I had the shop tighten it down. Now I hear a funny noise coming from the chain while at 20-40 MPH. Would it be a safe bet to replace?

Also, do sprockets come in different sizes and bolt patterns for different bikes or will any JT 16/46 fit?'

Specifically these
Front
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AVS6H2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTF434.16 16T Steel Front Sprocket: Automotive[/ame]

Rear
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068O6Z9C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTR245/3.46 46T Steel Rear Sprocket: Automotive[/ame]

DragonBlu

It sounds like chain maintenance was neglected. I would replace it with quality parts. I use "Driven" sprockets. The chain is your life line, don't buy cheap crap and take good care of chain and sprockets with routine maintenance. Sprockets are made to fit certain bikes. Make sure they are correct for your application.Motorcycle Superstore is where I got mine. All the major places like Revzilla,etc sell quality chains and sprockets. Happy riding!

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

WeatherB

I've got the Driven sprockets on mine and the EK 520 SRX chain. Good combination and working well for me.

I agree about the comments, make sure you get the correct sprockets. I was sent the wrong ones initially (for the FZ6).

Chucker

I wouldn't replace the sprockets unless they're irregularly worn. If the rust on the chain is from the bike sitting, then your sprockets should be fine. Just check to see if they have signs of irregular wear. No point in replacing them if they're perfectly fine.

floki

I wouldn't replace the sprockets unless they're irregularly worn. If the rust on the chain is from the bike sitting, then your sprockets should be fine. Just check to see if they have signs of irregular wear. No point in replacing them if they're perfectly fine.
The sprockets do look fine. I have just always heard replace chain and sprockets together. My chain is toast I think. I feel like it was not maintained right at all.

BikeLover

Change the chain for sure, Look at the sprocket's driven side. if you see that one side looks "shark toothed" for the lack of better terms, The sprocket is worn and should be replaced.