Shifting

Craxican

So i was riding along today, practicing wheelies and what-not...on my way home, i wasn't thinking and shifted...without clutching. I found that we can power shift on our bikes after about 5000rpms...I checked it in all gears and sure enough...all gears after 5000 we can power shift...actually I wait until 6000 but for all you racers out there...clutching is now optional without DynoJet's QuickShifter

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
You can actually do clutch-less shifting at anytime (although it's not very easy going from 1st to 2nd because of the nested N).

All you have to do is accelerate and put some preload on the shifter. In other words, put some pressure on the shifter. When you are ready to shift, roll off the throttle some and continue to apply pressure to the shifter. It should slide right into the next gear pretty easily. Then just roll back on the throttle and away you go.

It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it, the shifts get really smooth. :thumbup:

Craxican

haven't tried it slower...but i know that i don't have to roll off...i can accellerate all the way from 0 - top speed..thank you though...ill have to try to power shift slower, maybe that'll help me wheelie and keep it up longer without running out of rpms

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

cbzdel

I have done it pretty much all speeds and RPM ranges without a problem, it works good!

fz6rwolf

I speed shift or power shift once in awhile and have on different bikes but will usually use the clutch. You can shift pretty smooth that way but I figure there's a clutch so why not use it lol.

joloy133

haven't tried it slower...but i know that i don't have to roll off...i can accellerate all the way from 0 - top speed..thank you though...ill have to try to power shift slower, maybe that'll help me wheelie and keep it up longer without running out of rpms
There is always friction when shifting and re-engaging with the clutch plate. The rolling off is done quickly to help reduce wear. Racers get their clutches for free. A question of $$$$.

YamaDon

Sure you can speed shift, but at what cost? Checked the owner's manual and it states "Always use the clutch while changing gears to avoid damaging the engine, transmission, and drive train, which are not designed to withstand the shock of forced shifting." Remember, this is not a track bike.
Personally, I feel that if done smoothly and only occasionally, no problem.

Craxican

I understand that...what I'm saying though...is for those people who were talking about racing...this is a way for them to accelerate from start to finish without slowing at all...not recommending...not really saying anything other than we CAN accelerate continuously without EXTRA stuff...DynoJet's QuickShift just stops the flow of gas for a split second...has little to do with the clutch itself...and if your RPMS are high enough...neither the clutch, engine, or transmission is affected...yes, prolonged power shifting can cause damage, but grinding a gear does more damage than a power shift will (if done correctly)

In a car...power shifting is never a good idea...but when you have a car that can break 200mph and don't have a quick shift kit or paddle shifters...power shifting can be a way to shave off a few seconds, which is can make a world of difference...

On a bike...if you decide to race a bike that has high top speed, but slow acceleration, a few seconds might come in handy...especially since our bikes are geared for low - mid-range performance

Craxican

i go 0 - 60 in under 3 seconds:eek:....you would have to catch up...turns or no turns;) lol:justkidding:

to each...their own

ramflyer1899

Last weekend I went from 0-62 in 2.5 seconds. Whooo-hoo!!!!

Here's the vid...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXTupSag6M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXTupSag6M[/ame]

Last edited:

SilentT

Normal Shifts

Have you had any problem with the shifter not returning firm after an upshifting ? I seem to get a floppy/float feel before I can get engagement to the next gear

angelsneverlose

Have you had any problem with the shifter not returning firm after an upshifting ? I seem to get a floppy/float feel before I can get engagement to the next gear
i also get this.... almost feels like the clutch is slipping right? It pisses me off, but my bike only has 2K miles and clutches are not covered under warrenty:(

i dont know what this could be...

Craxican

I have had the issue on occasion, but for the most part no...i can usually move through the gears without any issue...

angelsneverlose

humm, so since others have this problem... does this mean our bike has a weak clutch or something? i only have 2500miles, but i swear it slips sometimes under full pressure (which IMO, i should NOT!)