Shifting gears @ RPM to maximize output

J

justBlue

I usually shift my FZ6R at no more then 7-8000 rpm max - to obtain maximum speed output - for a spirited ride:). It seems to me I gain no extra HP going over 8-9000 rpm, even though I'm still not close to redline:confused:. My bike just seems like it wants to blow up when arriving around or over 9000 rpm. Scares me:eek:!
Question I'm trying to educate myself on is: Does the rpm become saturated to the point where you gain no benefit from high rpm's and you need to shift to next gear and climb the mid level rpm level again - gaining the speed that way instead of higher rpm's in lower gears:rolleyes:...?
I'm not a racer by any means, just want optimum experience from the 600cc Philly she has to offer without springing oil leaks:mad:.
Thank you for any kind wisdom and/or knowledge to share with your fellow 6R:)
Go Yamaha Blue!

Bert-Aus

I believe you will find that peak output is

Power: 76.44 HP (55.8 kW)) @ 10000 RPM
Torque: 59.70 Nm (6.1 kgf-m or 44.0 ft.lbs) @ 6100 RPM

This will only change with modified tuning and gearing...
or even, if you wish to go as far as, cam modification

Don't worry about damaging the engine, they are designed to run high rpm for long durations
Being Japanese she is pretty well bullet proof,
Buzzbomb, Dart and others can attest to their endurance having gotten more than 50k miles out their rides thus far

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

latony007

i think it does take off a little more when you hit 9k and above not that i do it alot. I have moved up shifting from when i first got it, at break in of course your trying to put as little RPM on it as possible and then after break in your still kinda stuck in that mindframe so it took me a while before i raised my shifting points to about 6-7k. At no time do i ever feel its going to "blow up" this is a yamaha man. Run 11.5k rpm for hours i bet.

Bert-Aus

You guys are making me think I'm riding a bit squidly,
No no I'm sure it is only because I'm running late for where I'm going

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
J

justBlue

What a differnece it makes! shifting @ 9000 rpm

Shifting at higher RPMs, it's like a got a new bike :). Popping out of first @ 9000rms and before leaving 2nd I'm already hitting over 50mph. WOW!! I didn't know that bike had it in it.... Once you get used to it screaming at you like a "raped ape" and you know it's not going to "blow up", it's a blast! I have no justification now of moving to a larger cc bike. I mean, if that don't flip your trigger -then your just plain a** mad!
Not riding like that all the time by no means. But, to know that bad baby is there, puts a smile on your face...:)

Leaves those Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes sitting there "like a lizard panting on a hot rock".:D

Thanks for sharing your experience with me!

Love my 6R!!

latony007

Shifting at higher RPMs, it's like a got a new bike :). Popping out of first @ 9000rms and before leaving 2nd I'm already hitting over 50mph. WOW!! I didn't know that bike had it in it.... Once you get used to it screaming at you like a "raped ape" and you know it's not going to "blow up", it's a blast! I have no justification now of moving to a larger cc bike. I mean, if that don't flip your trigger -then your just plain a** mad!
Not riding like that all the time by no means. But, to know that bad baby is there, puts a smile on your face...:)

Leaves those Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes sitting there "like a lizard panting on a hot rock".:D

Love my 6R!!
Thats awesome, glad you are enjoying it. We will see in a year or so if a 1000cc doesnt appeal to you :)
im still good with the 6R but if i had unlimited money id probably get a ninja 1k or fz1

MattEnTheHat

I definitely started out shifting relatively low, rarely above 6k, but as I have become a better rider (this is my first bike), I've learned to shift higher. Now I'm generally shifting at 8-10k or sometimes even 11k depending on how spirited I am feeling...
For me, it has been a FANTASTIC bike. By shifting low when I was first learning to ride I could keep the power manageable. Now after owning my bike for almost a year I'm starting to come closer to using everything my bike will give me, and I can say I am CERTAINLY never bored.
Oh, and for any of you worried about damaging your bike, this might give you some insight to how reliable these bikes are: I bought my bike used with what the owner openly admitted to be 66k hard miles (he commuted to work every day on the bike riding hard on LA highways). Because of the extremely high milage I got the bike for a fantastic price ($2300), and it came with extended warranty coverage (unlimited milage, full coverage, even including towing) through January 2016, so I was not too worried about the bike breaking down. I've now put another 4k miles on, so the odometer is now up over 72k miles. In the year I have had the bike it has been the definition of reliability. I have never had it run anything but perfectly.

Slick

I have always shifted a little early, especially compared to some of the shift points mentioned here. I generally shift at about 5,000rpm. I have picked up my pace since I put Michelin 2CT series tires, and have found that my spirited pace has occasioned to have me shift at 6,000 or higher. But it just feels wrong to me to rev that high. I like the bike to stay quiet, in 'stealth mode' as it were. But, I have done stupid speeds on this bike, and wound it up to about 9,000. I quit looking at the tach/speedo when I got there...

But what the heck, it doesn't seem to hurt anything other than the gas mileage!

-Slick

buzzbomb

Elite Member

latony007

I have always shifted a little early, especially compared to some of the shift points mentioned here. I generally shift at about 5,000rpm. I have picked up my pace since I put Michelin 2CT series tires, and have found that my spirited pace has occasioned to have me shift at 6,000 or higher. But it just feels wrong to me to rev that high. I like the bike to stay quiet, in 'stealth mode' as it were. But, I have done stupid speeds on this bike, and wound it up to about 9,000. I quit looking at the tach/speedo when I got there...

But what the heck, it doesn't seem to hurt anything other than the gas mileage!

-Slick
Actually consensus is this bike gets its best gas mileage around 6500-7000 cruising RPM

That was me. For a LOT of years. But my shift points were originally learned in a car. You know, 3.5k rpm or so, and it sounds like it's winding out, so shift. It works.

The difference here is that these bikes don't redline until nearly 11k rpm! The bike feels like it's just too much, until you pass that 6-7k mark, and everything smooths down.

The 6R is made to run like that. Twist the throttle to where you're happy, run it up to 7 or 8k or so, shift, repeat. Or even higher, as others have pointed out.

It still feels weird to me, her screaming like she does. I, too was into "Stealth Mode." Going through the gears, boom boom boom. I still do that.

Only now, I know both worlds. I find that sometimes I like just cruising along in a higher gear, shifting early and just sort of enjoying the ride.

Other times? YaaaaMaaaaaHaaaa! She screams and she jumps and I love it. This bike is so forgiving and so versatile. When we want to be easy we are able to ride that way. When we want to be agressive - we've got that, too!
This bike is a great all arounder, Jack of all trades but master of none.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Slick

I know what you mean about twisties! I have been working (yeah!) these last two weeks, and haven't ridden the bike at all until today. Work was cancelled due to rain, but it cleared up and I was off to my favorite lunch spot in South Carolina. 88.5 miles, over 70 were twisty. Highway 28 S and back. Great burger, great ride!

-Slick

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Rumpig

Love my 6R!!
After i bought my bike i got a survey from Yamaha, one of the questions was "what do you like about your new yamaha?" My reply " 2nd gear,12000 rpm 120 kmh" The next question was" is there anything that disappoints you about your new yamaha?" my reply "4 more gears amd i'm already breaking the speed limit". They love to rev. I've done 10 000km in 6 months.

J

justBlue

Might be ready fot that 1000cc

Thats awesome, glad you are enjoying it. We will see in a year or so if a 1000cc doesnt appeal to you :)
im still good with the 6R but if i had unlimited money id probably get a ninja 1k or fz1
I think your right. FZ1 looks good - I can feel the long term burning of more CC.
Did you see that the FZ09 gets same mpg as the FZ6R? 48mpg... FZ1 only gets 38mpg. And, the FZ09 has a "Touring Version" FJ-09? as well, I like! Dual head lights, Wind Shield:) and side case options (i'm sure you've seen). Wonder why the big difference between mpg FZ1 and on FJ-09? But, I think the technology on new FJ/FZ-09's might be the better option. But, the old/new 2015 FZ1 all shiny "Black" look pretty bad though... erhh-choices... Well, my wife will make that call for me... :mad:

Not sure about that Kaw 1000cc... Seems to get good reviews though. And, I believe Kaw comes with a 3 year warranty. WOW!! that's awesome! Looks heavy?

Bigger cc means bike weighs more lbs... Our FZ6R handles awesome in tight places. Pro and cons.

Cheers old chap!

Last edited by a moderator:

luke1088

Iv had my XJ6N 2 years ( It was originaly LAMS restricted her in Aus, NOT ANY MORE ) iv put an arrow dark line exhaust on it and thats it.

The bike has never had a tune since stock so it's running realy rich (when restricted the throttle would only turn one third). It's my first road bike, but if had yamahas all my life.

The power curve on this bike is super smooth when you wrap the juice on. The sweet spot for me is between 8.5 to 10k. Under normal comuting i shift at around 5k (default mindset) the bike most of the time feals very buzzy, i believe this is just how they are.

I'm upping the gearing to 3.20 (15t 48t) (stock is 16t 46t fir those that don't know) and chucking it on the dyno. The bike has heaps of power but i want it to be a bit more torquey at the low end (wwhhhheeeeellllliiieeesss). I never go on the hight way so fuel consuption wont be a problem, if need be ill cruise a gear higher.

But my point is (give me feedback) most of our bikes are quite buzzy/Vibratey, unless your flogging them