Shift Pedal goes into a freeplay mode when shifting fast uphill

fz6rowner

After I make a turn from a stop sign onto a highway going in the uphill direction, the shift lever refuses to tighten up and moves freely when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. The shift pedal moves freely, no matter how much I push it up and does not allow shifting to 3. I have to slightly press the shift pedal down until it is firm, and then it allows shifting to 3rd. What could be causing this problem?

This issue happens only when I rev upto 9K rpm in 1st, shift to 2nd, again rev to 9k rmp, and then the pedal goes into a dead freeplay mode when I attempt to shift to 3rd.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Can it be normal at other rpms?

Most all oils these days meet spec, but what oil are you using and when was it changed last?

On the other forum a guy had a problem like this, it was any rpm. It was just broke. Ended up being spring under the cover where the shift shaft enters the case.

Last thing, make sure the joints are grease on the link from lever to shift shaft. If dry it can cause strange behavior somewhat like this.

Rumpig

I get this , I think it's from not letting the lever drop back down far enough after the up change so it is ready to get the next gear. Make sure you don't keep any up pressure on the lever after a change.

fz6rowner

I get this , I think it's from not letting the lever drop back down far enough after the up change so it is ready to get the next gear. Make sure you don't keep any up pressure on the lever after a change.
Yes, it happens every time I shift, and it appears I did not notice it until now, accelerating uphill from a stop. Is it normal on all motorcycles to have freeplay of shift pedal after an up-shift? It is not an issue going on mostly straight roads, as it takes a few seconds of accelerated riding before needing to shift up and by that time the shift pedal would tighten and be ready for the next up-shift. But this time gap that shift pedal takes to tighten between shifts is an issue when starting from stop going on a uphill highway where there is a need to accelerate quickly to avoid getting rear ended. I usually drive between 6 to 8k rpm and shift up when rpm crosses 8k. But when I have to make a turn and merge into fast moving traffic on highway, I rev to 8 or 9k on 1st, quickly shift to 2nd rev up again to 9k, and then shift to 3rd and finally stabilize in the 6k to 8k range. This gets me from 0 to 55mph quickly going uphill, and puts me at a safe distance ahead of the traffic coming from behind.

Last edited:

Rumpig

I haven't looked into how the shift mechanism works so can't explain why it happens but I often bounce off the rev limiter because of it.

If the joints are lubed up the lever freely snaps to position engine off it really sounds like its not being allowed to Re-center due to boot/rider position.

Try this: after each gear change, tip your boot out completely away from the lever.

Fwiw - fz6 has no rpm limit as to when and where its shifted. Hills and corners have no impact on transmission shifts. It may very well impact rider position for some.
Practice!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member