Shame on Harbor Freight

spacemonkey

so I'm washing my bike the other day and to make the job a little easier i had it on my cheap ass harbor freight stand. on a side note has anyone put the bike into gear while on the stand and noticed that even with the clutch disengaged (lever pulled in) the tire will still rotate as if the clutch is not fully disengaged brakes can be pressed and no change in idle, my only worry is that while holding in the clutch at stop lights im going to eventually wear down my clutch and cause slippage. back on point. after my bike is shiny and clean i attempt to take the bike off the stand and it always seems to get stuck on the fender, unable to let it down or sometimes even get it back on all the way. so i just try to roll it into my garage, when low and behold these shitty wheels cant get over the line where the concrete was poured, so instead of gracefully coasting into my garage it goes sideways since only one side of the stand got caught, sending my blue beauty to the floor... :( not having frame sliders on it and never coming close to setting it down before my heart sank, i felt so down in the dumps that i never invested in any sort of protection, laying on the floor with my bike stand caught in between swing arm, wheel, chain, ground, and whatever else layed there i huffed and i puffed and i lifted my baby up threw the stand off of her and rested her on her one and only leg. I began inspecting her, prepared for the worst i looked her over once, twice, three times i looked at her and found nothing, not even a spec of dust, she survived one of my worst nightmares :D

i still look at her everyday expecting to see some sort of mark, but nothing:thumbup:

upon inspection of the bike stand i notcied it was crooked, slightly but still not quite square. idk if it was the fall that twerked it or if that how i got it. knowing harbor freights quality that is probably how it came tho. not complaining but not happy. lesson learned you get what you pay for.

if anyone has suggestions to help me get my bike off the stand solo please let me know i dont want this happening again....

demon408

holy snikes

u got lucky!!! ive seen bikes tip over and the front turn signal punches a hole in the fairing

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that really sucks. :mad: I'm glad that you haven't found any damage yet. But if you are expecting to find any, try looking at the bar end, clutch/brake lever, mirror and the turn signal. :p Those are the places most likely to make contact with the ground without frame sliders.

Back to your question. Here are a couple videos that show and explain fairly well how to use a rear stand. The trick to getting it up/down is that you can't let the stand handle come all the way up. Just lift the handle high enough to get the rear tire on the ground, then slide the stand out from under it. Another trick is to use a brick/board under the side stand. This lets you rest the bike upright until you can get the rear stand clear of the back end.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRv_c4QIOVk]YouTube - Motorcycle Lift Stand[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sR3lv66KmE]YouTube - Motorcycle Rear Swingarm Paddock Stand[/ame]

spacemonkey

thanks for the vids. and i checked everything mirrors bar ends pegs foot levers everything is nice and good. my gf dropped her R acouple times and i spotted every nic and scratch. only thing that happened to mine was the turnsignal got loose. i just jammed it back in and its fine :D

MNDZA

That sucks. I bought a pit-bull stand, but I don't really blame the stand in this situation. I would never try to roll a bike while it's on the rear stand....asking for an accident since it is definitely not as stable as I'd like it to be.

Roaddawg

That sucks. I bought a pit-bull stand, but I don't really blame the stand in this situation. I would never try to roll a bike while it's on the rear stand....asking for an accident since it is definitely not as stable as I'd like it to be.
I agree. It's not made to roll around like that.

cbzdel

the stand is not to blame.. I love my $hitty harbor freight stand... the stand is meant to lift and low the bike not roll it around your garage..