Seat Adjustment

Comiha22

So yesterday I decided to raise the seat to the High position to see how the extra leg room would feel (6'2" is a bit cramped in the Low). The switch is super easy and only took about 10 minutes. The only downside I've noticed is that the seat seems a bit wobbly now.

Has anyone else adjusted their seat to the High position, and if so have you noticed this as well?

Comiha22

For the record, the FZ6R seat is quite a bit lower than the FZ6 when in the Low Position.

Comiha22

fz6nick - I stand corrected; the seat heights are very close. The FZ6 is 31.3", and the R is 30.9" at the Low setting. That said, the extra 20mm in the High setting is helpful.

Regardless, the point of this post is to see if anyone has experienced any seat wobble in the High setting.

F

fz6nick

Is the seat wobbly or the whole bike? Im just asking these questions for my own knowledge so I can help others when this comes about.

B

blaxx

He is talking about just the seat itself. I have mine set on the higher position, and also have noticed it is not quite as solid as when it is set in the low position, but has not bothered me any.

Comiha22

blaxx - You're spot on. The bike is plenty stable, and the slight wobble of the seat hasn't bothered me yet; I was just curious as to whether anyone else had a similar experience. For the moment, the wobble is a fair trade for the extra leg room.

Roaddawg

I put my seat to the high setting right after I bought it (I'm 6'3"). I haven't noticed any wobble, but I noticed in the high setting the seat seams to tilt slightly forward from the low position. It felt a little less comfortable. Today, I actually put mine back to the lower setting to see if its more comfortable, despite the less leg room.

M

M3Sharif

I changed mine to the high setting the first week I got it. The angle of my legs felt much more comfortable.

I noticed the seat sits looser on the bike at the high position, and I can move it around a bit with my hand. When riding, however, I haven't really felt any wobble at all (and I do like to shift around and hang off just a little in the corners)

V

vdbergj1

Not the first time I hear this.:confused:
Just a thought: If there is wobble or does not secure properly, will it not be prone to wear out something in future?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Can't you add some washers between the seat and the pedestals that it attaches to? That would take out some of the play, hopefully.

Comiha22

99vengeur - Not a bad idea. The only problem is that the seat is only attached to the bike by a plastic front clip, and 2 screws in the rear. The bottom of the seat consists of 4 rubber washers. There are also 4 rubber washers on the frame. When in the Low setting, the 4 frame washers touch the bottom of the seat, and the 4 seat washers rest on top of the frame. When in the High setting, the washers are against each other, so you have 4 contact points between the seat and the frame versus 8. I think that's where the slight instability comes from.

cbzdel

i really thought the seat in the high position was more comfortable, but i really didnt like the gap it gave between the seat and frame..

Roaddawg

. The only problem is that the seat is only attached to the bike by a plastic front clip, and 2 screws in the rear.
What about the bolts on either side of the seat, one on each side. Did you forget those? When its in the high position, you can see them under the seat.

Comiha22

Roaddawg - You can't tell in the Low setting, but those bolts aren't attached to the seat. They hold brackets which determine whether the rubber spacers are against each other (High), or against the frame/seat (Low).

fz6rwolf

I put mine in high position 2nd day and when sitting on it there's no movement, only when not on it wiggles a bit. Over 2,000 miles with no noticeable wear so keeping it there, could care less about seeing the gap.

atomoverride

I really need to start reading the manual. I suspected there was a seat adjustment thing. but being 6'5" I just assumed there was little to nothing I could do.

Now I guess I need to crack open that manual and adjust my seat.

Comiha22

atomoverride - Absolutely. It's 2 bolts in, 2 bolts adjusted, 2 bolts out. Won't take you more than 10 minutes, and your legs will praise your glory.

atomoverride

atomoverride - Absolutely. It's 2 bolts in, 2 bolts adjusted, 2 bolts out. Won't take you more than 10 minutes, and your legs will praise your glory.
ok took me all of 15 min. man the tools that came with the bike suck. cheapest tools I have ever used. But all in all works great. Thanks for the pep talk I can definalty feel the difference.