Scratched Fairings.

mtucker

So I was cleaning up my bike yesterday and I noticed that I'm starting to get light scuffs in my fairings where my legs would touch, its no big deal but gets to me since I've babied the thing! Has anyone used products like Nu-Finish or other products made by mothers etc.? I want to try it but am afraid I will ruin the finish on my bike! HELP!!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Detrich

Scratch X will reduce the appearance of mild swirl marks and scratches, but doesn't completely remove it. Be gentle, and follow the instructions. I've used scratch x on the headstock of my electric guitars, and it seems to help reduce the string track marks that Eric's Guitar Shop made when servicing my axes... (they were too rough and careless.)

If you have an orbital car polisher, such as a Porter cable, you might be able to buff the scratches out with some very mild clear coat car polish... (I use Sonus SFX-1 and Sonus Paintwork Cleanser on my cars.) All depends on how bad the scratches are. It's not a science, as I've seen really deep scratches come right out effortlessly, but then really minor scratches that won't come out even with aggressive polishing... Meguires makes good stuff too, tho I've never tried it yet.

Just as with removing swirls or scratches from car paint- it's always better to be safe and gradually polish it out over time, rather than try to be overly aggressive and polish too much in one sitting and damage the paint.

Last edited:

cbzdel

after I hit 5000 I figured it was a lost cause, it just kept getting worse.. Now I just dont wash the bike anymore, it looks better dirty than shiny and scratched haha!

bmw675

QUOTE=cbzdel;249038]after I hit 5000 I figured it was a lost cause, it just kept getting worse.. Now I just dont wash the bike anymore, it looks better dirty than shiny and scratched haha![/QUOTE]

:banghead: :spank:

i thought the same thing. but ive just spent all day (after a nice 2 hour ride this morning) cleaning and waxing both my bike and my truck. back to the garage i go...

husker525

You can buy several different grits of Meguiars polish, depending on how bad the scratches are. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, then it may be best to take it to a professional shop for guidance. If you cannot feel the scratches, then try some polishing compound, not rubbing compound. Just rub very lightly but with repetition, and 99% percent of the scratches will come out. You just have to re-wax that area when you are done.

I have had several small scratches from people thinking that touching my paint job will help them fully comprehend and appreciate the artwork. I have been able to remove all of them thus far using the aforementioned method.

mtucker

I do have the black 6r. I was waxing the bike with turtle wax ICE wax and have switched to a actual hardbody wax versus the spray liquid wax I was using. It has improved but still noticeable in sunlight. What waxes is everyone using? I just used regular turtle wax but I plan to invest in a good bottle of wax im thinking mothers, or Meguiars. Those of you using Meguiars spray are you talking about the quick detailler?

On a side note and kind of off topic, the chain lube I'm using is making a mess of my rear wheel and swing arm, Im using PJ-1 Blue Label and even if I let it sit for days it makes a state resulting in having to get bug and tar remover to take it off my paint is there a cleaner brand?

Thanks!!!

Detrich

just my own exp, but black is a seemingly lost cause. after owning my first black color car for the past 5 years, i'm not too man to say, never again. it's simply 2 friggen high maintenance a color...

yes, it looks awesome when it's clean & mirror shiny immediately after a wash & wax... but, for what- the brief 30 minutes after the wash only? <lol> just re-parking the car after the wash picks up dust already...

:waves the white flag at black: