Scraping Pegs

Gixerhp

Ok so my girlfriend is a newer rider, and this last weekend at Deals Gap she scraped a peg on one of the most technical corners on the Gap!
She has been there before on a Ninja 250, and she had a blast! Shortly after that trip we bought the FZ6R, witch she has been riding ever since.
When she scraped the peg i was right behind her, and saw the whole thing, she was spooked and stood straight up and off into the woods!
The bike isn't bad, and she only has minor bruises as well as her pride being hurt!
Has anyone else has a similar problem, or is it just the road conditions!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

b_who

thats commen with our style of bikes. I'm glad to here she's ok
could of bin a lot worse specially going towards trees/
1st thing i did after i started scraping my pegs a lot was take the feelers off
they just twist off like a screw (thanks jonker for the info on it)

ive only scraped my right peg once sense then.

Heres a how to spunky did to get sum after market pegs
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/aftermarket-foot-pegs-19283/

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Briguy453

In reality, before you start getting the bike leaned over at those speeds, should be first hanging the body off before the bike gets to any extreme lean angle. The bike is waaay too far leaned over if you're scraping pegs and not dragging knee. There isnt much more clearence after that. Either grab some knee pucks and use your body to get off the bike, or someone will lean too much and run out of tire. It happened to me before I learned better body positioning. I highly suggest you get the proper body positioning down before you start getting to those lean angles on the street.

b_who

In reality, before you start getting the bike leaned over at those speeds, should be first hanging the body off before the bike gets to any extreme lean angle. The bike is waaay too far leaned over if you're scraping pegs and not dragging knee. There isnt much more clearence after that. Either grab some knee pucks and use your body to get off the bike, or someone will lean too much and run out of tire. It happened to me before I learned better body positioning. I highly suggest you get the proper body positioning down before you start getting to those lean angles on the street.
Huh guess im not hanging off enough
Id nip my pegs when id hang off but i still have never got my knee down :(

Really wish i had the cash to do one of those total control classes so i can have sumbody teach me proper techniques and tell me in black and white what im doing right and wrong

Briguy453

Really wish i had the cash to do one of those total control classes so i can have sumbody teach me proper techniques and tell me in black and white what im doing right and wrong
Well, to be honest thats what I did take, levels 1 and 2. I just had the luxury of the military paying for it. Now, I have so much clearance I never worry about running out of tire. I've run out of tire twice, and its not fun. My body positioning was all messed up, and my bike was at max lean. The body needs to be fully off the bike. Work on that before you get too excited about scraping pegs. Its not exactly a good thing :)

Heineken

Elite Member

Bloke

Don't just hang your ass off. Get your head and shoulder down below your mirror. check youtube for "how to get your knee down" by MCN.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

iSpoolin

MF Vario pegs are able to be adjusted up, that's what most people use to eliminate the scraping, but it all depends on what she scraped. I'm guessing the curb feelers were still on the pegs? I took those off on my FZ and never had a problem again. My toes starting hit first ;) lol

SAFE-T

Scraping a peg then target fixating ? Seems to be a common problem with dem Yamaha's...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6XsByRh14I]Foot Peg Catches then Crash - 2009 Yamaha R1 5/7/11 - YouTube[/ame]