Saddlebags?

What kind of bags do you get for this bike?

There's a ton of options, but on the "easy on the wallet" path, you'll want to look into the Cortech saddlebags. Otherwise, if you have the money, you'll want to check out the Givi, Shad, or Kappa hard luggage options. Just do a search on "luggage" and you'll see it all.

I have the Cortech bags; they're nice and work very well. That being said, I'll be upgrading to some Givi gear in the near future (I hope). ;)

Edit - Here's a pic of my Cortech bags mounted. I have the sport tailbag that goes with the set too, but on this particular trip, I used the Cortech duffel bag that also fits with the set (needed max room):
ncvacation065.jpg

I have the Cortech too, work pretty well but don't think they are AT ALL waterproof, it it rains stuff WILL get wet which is why I'm looking around for hard bags (hope someone makes brackets soon to fit this bike).

I have the Cortech too, work pretty well but don't think they are AT ALL waterproof, it it rains stuff WILL get wet which is why I'm looking around for hard bags (hope someone makes brackets soon to fit this bike).

Yes, the Cortech bags WILL get wet...even with the rain cover. The cover doesn't completely surround the wheelside of the bags. What I ended up with on the trip in the above photo was two saddlebags with a pool of water in the bottom of each rain cover....which of course bled into the bags. Luckily, i had wrapped everything up, but it was definitely a mess.

i got soft saddlebags also,ive not used them yet cos i was worried the exhaust would melt them , does it?

i got soft saddlebags also,ive not used them yet cos i was worried the exhaust would melt them , does it?

No chance, the exhaust is under the bike well away from the saddlebags.

I've done both options Burnspot mentioned.

I started with Cortech sport side and tail bags. Cost somewhere in the $150 range new for the setup.

That said, I was never truly very happy with the soft side bag setup, partly the space, partly the ease of theft, partly how they anchor.

I still use the tail bag almost every day. Its my "satchel" for law school & work, and carried a 14" laptop and a ton of legal texts. The expandability was a huge asset in that regard.

Last year, I invested in SW Motech mounts for the Givi E-21 side cases. As with many purchases, I do wish I'd saved my initial $$ and waited to get the hard side cases. The SW mounts have quick-disconnect pin-lock anchors, so you can remove the mounts from the frame. It cleans up the bike very nicely for the rides where you don't want the side bags.

My next "mod" to the Givi hard cases is likely to be some kind of LED wired with quick disconnects to the taillight.

I think I will go for the hardbag setup with the Motech mounts. I had Cortech bags on my cruiser for a short while then ended up switching to hardbags anyway.

Dumb question, but looking at a previous thread on baggage: Any mounting spec differences between the FZ6 v. the FZ6R? Thanks.

I don't think anyone is making mounts yet (I've been searching). The FZ6 and FZ6R are completely different frames so yes there are differences.

Thanks.. Yeah, the Givi U.S. rep e-mailed & said that they do not have anything that matches FZ6R frame specs. So..maybe fabricate, or alter an off the shelf mount to get hardcases to fit or do Cortech?

The Cortech are working for me for now.

A year late but this helps.

For all of you looking to install hard cases, Givi does make a mount and a set of hard cases you can mount on the FZ. You need to look for the mount under XJ6, the european version. The mount is a quick release and works with the V35 hard cases. Not cheap however. Your looking at the mid $700's for the complete setup.

For all of you looking to install hard cases, Givi does make a mount and a set of hard cases you can mount on the FZ. You need to look for the mount under XJ6, the european version. The mount is a quick release and works with the V35 hard cases. Not cheap however. Your looking at the mid $700's for the complete setup.

They've had them for awhile...here's a set installed...3 feet wide! http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/added-givi-bags-17896/

I got the Cortech too

Hi,
I got the Cortech. I already had the tailbag and for $135 they are a deal. Never going to tour much with this bike so GIVI is an overkill. Just in the middle of making a frame that will keep the bags from drifting inward and looking awkward on the bike. The frame will also eliminate the diamond shape of the hand rail and allow the bags to ride more "square".

Ed

Hi,
I got the Cortech. I already had the tailbag and for $135 they are a deal. Never going to tour much with this bike so GIVI is an overkill. Just in the middle of making a frame that will keep the bags from drifting inward and looking awkward on the bike. The frame will also eliminate the diamond shape of the hand rail and allow the bags to ride more "square".

Ed

Keep us posted on this

Back