Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member
Reactions: Rob

SAFE-T

Again, unless you ride the bike FAST you are unlikely to notice much difference in the rear shock's performance. If anything, it iprobably has some benefits for normal riding conditions ~ even with the shorter spring and lowering link we still have to put the shock on it's lowest setting to get the bike to sit lower, and the slight increase in the shock's rising rate due to the change in shock angle helps to keep the bike from bottoming out over bumps.

But it does make the shock 'firmer' in terms of what is being referred to here as damping. I suppose if you ride it faster than you really should and are unfortunate to encounter a bump or depression that is big enough to overwhelm the modified suspension you will be sorry. I have heard 'stories' about people on lowered bikes that crashed while trying to keep up with their friends, and after riding for 26 yrs I honestly believe it was the 'keeping up' part that caused them to biff, and not their bike. They got in way over their head and just didn't have the judgement to know it until it was too late.

But if you intend to ride the bike like that, you need to get enough skills to figure out how to deal with it as-is without lowering it and find a closed course with nearby medical personnel. Or maybe just find something less dangerous to do.

For us, the combination of shorter spring and lowering link was necessary to get the bike to a height that would allow my wife to ride it.

Until the day a manufacturer puts a YZF sportbike motor into a chassis with a seat height that accomodates 5' people this is what will be required to get what some people want.

I think that even if you did modify the shock internally to adjust for the change in rising rate, you are going to find the decrease in ground clearance from lowering is going to limit how sporty you can get on it anyway. To me, that seems like a lot of money to change something that you don't need if you just realize the bike is going to be a little more limited than it was stock, and the real problem is your legs are too frackin' short LOL.

Last edited:

fastceli

By looking at the pictures this looks very similar to the 2013 fz6r. Will this lowering link work on the 2013 model?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

indian9990

I just read through this whole post. It's very helpful. I'm thinking about shopping around for the part. I need like an inch at most and i'll be good. I just want to be flat footed when I come to a stop :)

I was really hesitant about wanting to do this but after reading this thread it helped a lot :)

SAFE-T

So are you saying that i don't need to install a lowering link, that all i need to do to the rear is install a new shorter spring?
Either one will lower the bike a bit. Unless you have the tools to change the spring yourself you will need to pay someone to do it.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

latony007

I really was going to do this 100% when I got my bike but several people said if you can get the balls of your feet down to leave it alone. Backing up is the only real issue I have or odd angles. Im just curious ROB how you like it and if you think any ill effects? Im trying to get my seats redone and if they get any higher I will def. have to do something.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

latony007

alternative also is to find riding boots with a bit a of a heal. I got some with a 1" heal make a huge dif
that's how I am getting to the balls of my feel lol. barefoot I might not even touch the ground lmao

latony007

I also have a trick if you will.

at all stops I just flat foot my left leg and keep my right leg on the rear brake.
you a midget too? Lol
I do that sometimes too. Its not really that bad for me, I almost always wear my boots and really it only bothers me backing up which is why I never got the link. I may have to consider it though if my seat height gets raised when I have it done.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

BradSPE

Just did this install. I didn't have a hoist, managed to get it done solo using a rear swing arm stand, a jack, and two jack stands. Took about 2 hours to do it and the kickstand. Not too difficult. If I had another set of hands or a hoist it would have been a alot easier. That being said. It is too cold to ride as of yet, but will post my thoughts when I am done. I am a highway rider and often spirited at that. I also have the woodcraft clip-ons installed so I will let you know what I think of the geometry of the bike now and how it rides.

latony007

Just did this install. I didn't have a hoist, managed to get it done solo using a rear swing arm stand, a jack, and two jack stands. Took about 2 hours to do it and the kickstand. Not too difficult. If I had another set of hands or a hoist it would have been a alot easier. That being said. It is too cold to ride as of yet, but will post my thoughts when I am done. I am a highway rider and often spirited at that. I also have the woodcraft clip-ons installed so I will let you know what I think of the geometry of the bike now and how it rides.
congrats on getting it done on your own. Interested to hear of any cons. I just got my custom seat back and it is a little higher. I lowered the spring setting to 1 and that seemed to help a little but something like this would end the situation once and for all. Of course that would make it a really expensive seat mod since i already spent close to 200 on the seat and I would def. have to bring the link in and have it done.