Riding Postion at higher speeds (6R)

PrangeWay

Just wondering if anyone leans farther down at higher speeds (60-80), or stays in the more uprightish position that the 6r puts you in naturally.

Only had it a week or so on 35mph commute ride, but doing some longer trips next 2 weekends and was a bit curious.

Thanks,
PW

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
When cruising on the highway, I try to tuck just a little deeper. I generally slide my butt farther back on the seat. This keeps less pressure on my wrists. It also helps to cut down on the side profile during windy or gusty riding.

Enjoy and ride safe!

fz6rwolf

Pretty much same normal position for me, just find it more comfortable.

MNDZA

I'm typically leaned more forward almost all the time....yeah it's an upright bike...but I'm lazy and like to lay down and take a nap once in a while.

joloy133

You'll have to find your own best position. I slide back and lean forward as it is windy on the I-80 where I am. The problem U may notice is that the bar stays put as U move down, so it is not sport bike position, (too low and the bar is at your neck.) Bike feels great at speed, wind may blow U a bit but bike is solid, (the overall weight and underneath exhaust position make for great stability just like the reviews state).

B

BusyWeb

Mine is FZ6, not R.
But might similar profiles on both of them.
I do enjoy some long distance touring since I got mine,
so I have some trick with some high speed highway riding.
If there were no wind and good weather condition, you may not need to worry too much.
Bike is doing its job amainzingly well at high speed; even over 80 mph.
Especially, for windy and gust situation, bike seems to shake(sailing-effect) unexpectedly.
So be carful with it;
I usally do lower my upper body behind wind shield(mine is yamaha taller windscreen) when I got windy situations.
For my final solution about wind, I made my own saddle-bag mounts a week ago.
With my mounting, I can lower my saddle bags about 5-8 inches bellow the rear seats.
And it gives great enhancement against side-wind (cross wind).
I had couple of long milage test riding this weekend with almost full loading(heavy loading).
There are no more sailing at high wind situations, I'm really happy with it.
If you have planned to attach some luggage on your riding, try to lower your luggages as possible as you can.
And try to load havier stuffs at the lower part of bags.
Just for my 2 cents.

unleased1287

if im cruise n 70 its really hard to stay at 60 or so and at about 75 its at 7k rpm and vibrates alot i stay in the up right position but if i start jamming gears red lining it i get right down on it cause at 100 and above the wind hits hard and throws u around alot. just wondering if any one has come across any other bikes and go neck and neck?? the only one i have gone against is a 98 cbr 600 and its pretty hard to keep up with it i couldn't even imagine a bran new one we cant hang the corners as well as they can.

cbzdel

normal position for me, the only time I tuck in is under heavy acceleration, and it happens almost naturally I never intend on doing it lol

Funkmaxtor

My brother has a 02 Ninja 500. Despite having a terrible start I spanked him off the line to about 130 (topped out) then he had me. Couldn't believe he had a higher top speed.

cbzdel

My brother has a 02 Ninja 500. Despite having a terrible start I spanked him off the line to about 130 (topped out) then he had me. Couldn't believe he had a higher top speed.
WHAT?????? :eek:

MNDZA

WHAT?????? :eek:
Exactly my thoughts. I thought the Ninja 500 had a top speed of like 45kph.

On a more serious note, yes most of us speed sometimes, but be careful racing out there.....motorcycle riding is risky enough as it is.

cbzdel

Exactly my thoughts. I thought the Ninja 500 had a top speed of like 45kph.

On a more serious note, yes most of us speed sometimes, but be careful racing out there.....motorcycle riding is risky enough as it is.

When I was at the shop picking up my FZ6R there was a kid trading in his Ninja500 for a R6 and the dealer asked him if he knew how fas the R6 was and the kid said not to much faster its only 100cc more.. The dealer said "You got alot to learn kid, this is like comparing a Kia to a Ferrari" So whats that say about our bike, its comparing a Geo to the Kia :(

MNDZA

When I was at the shop picking up my FZ6R there was a kid trading in his Ninja500 for a R6 and the dealer asked him if he knew how fas the R6 was and the kid said not to much faster its only 100cc more.. The dealer said "You got alot to learn kid, this is like comparing a Kia to a Ferrari" So whats that say about our bike, its comparing a Geo to the Kia :(
Who's the Geo and who's the Kia.....I prefer a Bugatti.

xplodnstar

I'd say we're more like an Acura. Not the top of the line, but in no way a carbed, ugly Ninja 500 either. Sleek, sensible and goes like bat outta hell.

fz6rwolf

Don't go slammin' my KIA now, I think it's pretty nifty myself (Haven't used "nifty" in quite awhile). I actually just traded a '04 Kia Optima that I had bought new for a Kia Soul. Thing's got everything, bluetooth thing (which the GF's son had to set up for me), plug-ins for computer, Ipod or whatever (I use it for the Ipod), 3 free months of Sirius radio (not sure if will keep that), 18 inch rims, all kinds of cool features. Had that Optima over 5 years problem free and over 88,000 miles so they're actually pretty well built machines. Of course my FZ6R is WAY more fun though.;)

xplodnstar

Don't go slammin' my KIA now, I think it's pretty nifty myself (Haven't used "nifty" in quite awhile). I actually just traded a '04 Kia Optima that I had bought new for a Kia Soul. Thing's got everything, bluetooth thing (which the GF's son had to set up for me), plug-ins for computer, Ipod or whatever (I use it for the Ipod), 3 free months of Sirius radio (not sure if will keep that), 18 inch rims, all kinds of cool features. Had that Optima over 5 years problem free and over 88,000 miles so they're actually pretty well built machines. Of course my FZ6R is WAY more fun though.;)
I'm certainly not knockin'. I've got a Sorento (85K miles) AND a Spectra (95K miles) at my house. They're all good!

fz6rwolf

I'm just foolin anyway:thumbup: Was funny couple days later had to go sign stuff (Monday) and the Optima was out front with a salesguy and a young couple and salesguy told them "Hey there's the previous owner, go ahead and ask them anything" so they did ask (1st thing the guy asked was if the stereo stayed with the car cause I had put in a pioneer and said yes it does) and the girl said "Well I'm not sure about getting a Kia" I told her, I just had that one over 5 years with only problem was the door lock locked but didn't unlock and other than that I've only had oil changed, tires and brakes in 88,000 miles and I just traded for another Kia so I'm happy with them. I think cars are becoming much like bikes these days, pretty much all major brands are pretty reliable.
Oh, sorry about hijacking this thread ya'll.

You can always adjust the handles forward and raise the seat to give it that racer feel.

T

tmkspy

With the short windshield, if you want cut the wind, or go REALLY fast, you MUST tuck in. I notice that as soon as I tuck in, while doing about 70, I am suddenly doing 80 without moving the throttle. But what is great about the FZ6 IS the upright riding position. Riding a bike like the R6 kills my back, and I can ride my FZ6 all day....

With the short windshield, if you want cut the wind, or go REALLY fast, you MUST tuck in. I notice that as soon as I tuck in, while doing about 70, I am suddenly doing 80 without moving the throttle. But what is great about the FZ6 IS the upright riding position. Riding a bike like the R6 kills my back, and I can ride my FZ6 all day....
We're talking about the FZ6R not FZ6.