Riding Impressions after 1000kms

dodi

Just completed 1000kms in two weeks and want to share some thoughts on the Fz6R. First off the bike is everything I anticipated it being , fun to ride , easy to ride and overall a very smooth running and well thought out machine. Good job Yamaha, a sporty yet comfortable bike. Some little niggling concerns.It was difficult to have much fun during the initial break-in period as revs on the highway or fast roads quickly rise. I have read about the low gearing and higher revs at relatively low speeds. I found myself as others have mentioned on the forum searching for another gear quite often. I'm sure once the break in period is over it will be something to get use to as I rev the heck out of the little motor. That's what it's designed to do.....right. I may consider changing the rear sprocket. i also noticed that the windscreen is okay , but after a 300km day today with some highway involved maybe a zero gravity or some sort of double bubble screen will be in the works. I am glad to report that i had no issues with the seat or the handlebar position. Very comfortable. After over 3 hours in the saddle and 300+ kms i felt great. I know these distances are not uncommon but for a 54 year old who loves riding i couldn't be happier with the comfort. I have had more powerful bikes in the past and a bit more power wouldn't hurt. My last bike a Honda 599 Hornet was geared differently and had a bit more power. ( Maybe 85-90hp)
I'm ok with the exhaust note because i haven't had a chance to really open it up. It seems the two brothers exhaust and juice box appeals to a lot of people..... maybe even a K&N filter. Last but not least i bought an Oxford Mini /tailbag/ tankbag combo and i would recommend it for day trips. It's a well made product that isn't overly obtrusive yet has decent storage space for daily needs. Bottom line I love the bike.
P.S ...was going to lower the bike with the Roaring Toyz lowering link as i am only 5'4" tall with a very short inseam. But after reading some forum info and checking out some photos I feel lowering the bike 1.75 inches is a bit too much. I have adjusted the pre-load and i am looking into removing/ adjusting the rubber plugs etc from under the seat. Someone on this forum suggested it would lower the bike another .5 inch. As long as i can get the balls of my feet down i should be ok. i have always lowered my motorcycles ...some as much as 2 inches, it's just that i have been riding for almost 20 years and i find that the FZ6R is a very manageable bike for me to ride. I am only looking for a little lower riding height. Those of you who have expressed interest in lowering your bike , i would suggest you definitely go for it. If you are comfortable on the bike your riding enjoyment and safety will be worth it for you.

20 years of riding? Awesome! My friend whose an older guy has been riding for 25 years and he had his ZX6R lowered.

Better than the other people who say to practice posting up on one legg... yeah right and keep wrecking your bike, by the time you have it done the bike will be done.

Back