Riding after back surgery

KeysRider3

In November 2003 my ortho surgeon spent 9 1/2 hours rebuilding my L4, L5 and S1. He recommended wearing a custom-fit brace for the first 60-90 days, so I did. After 60 days I had laid down enough new bone that I only had to wear it at times when I felt it would help maintain my posture, or prevent fatigue. I chose to wear the brace as back armor for the last 30 days when I went walking or running. I could have ridden after 60 days, but decided another month was an investment in the future I could well afford. Follow your surgeon's instructions, and don't cheat. Think of him/her as your body mechanic. BTW, the position of the back when you're on a sport bike provides a much more natural curve than when riding upright. However, the position of the head/neck in relation to the back is seriously out-of-whack, and is responsible for the arm and hand tingling and numbness most sport bike riders experience. One last thought: You're going to love sitting up for the first time after your surgery!

txjames

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear about all the hospital visits. Heal up quick and take it easy when you get the chance to ride again.

Sent from my spirit fingers using Tapatalk.

fz6rwolf

So glad mine went as well as it did. I see complications w/ neck and back surgeries all the time in my job.